VMware Cloud Community
nightyy
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6 machines with snapshots into ESX 3i

Dear community,

I am currently trying to migrate around ten machines from VM Workstation 6 over to ESX 3i.

Half of the machines could be imported by using Converter 3.02u1 and choosing "phyical machine" to import the currently running VMs without snapshots.

However there are machines that have up to 10 snapshots in them, i cannot use the "physical machine" option as I'd only get this one last state of the machine.

When I choose "standalone VM" and browse to the vmx i get "Unable to oben file: xxyyzz.vmdk". The machines have SCSI drives as harddisk.

Have you got any hints for me? WinSCP does not work with ESX 3i...

The logs show this:

Log for VMware Converter Client, pid=3024, version=3.0.2u1, build=build-62456, option=Release, section=2

Current working directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 1 numThreadsPerCore 2.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 1 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

TaskMax=15, IoMin=1, IoMax=31

P2V logger created

Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000

SSL context created

AppInit completed

This product Hard Expires: false

Deserializing the job manager's state

Deserializing

Transition from None to InProgress requested

License job init with license file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2vlcns

Transition succeeded

Starting execution of a Task

Deserializing the individual jobs from C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000002.xml

Job 2 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 2

Raising event 0 for job 2

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000005.xml

Job 5 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 5

Raising event 0 for job 5

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000006.xml

Job 6 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 6

Raising event 0 for job 6

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000008.xml

Job 8 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 8

Raising event 0 for job 8

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000009.xml

Job 9 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 9

Raising event 0 for job 9

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000010.xml

License job Success !

Job 10 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 10

Raising event 0 for job 10

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000011.xml

Job 11 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 11

Raising event 0 for job 11

Archive file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2v30\jobs\00000012.xml

Job 12 changing state from -1 to 3

Adding job 12

Raising event 0 for job 12

Task execution completed

Transition from InProgress to Success requested

Transition succeeded

Raising deserialization done event (7)

License job init with license file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware\p2vlcns

License job Success !

License job Success !

Transition succeeded

Connecting to
.\pipe\vmware-ufad-p2v30-vmdb, use SSL: true

Successfully connected to
.\pipe\vmware-ufad-p2v30-vmdb

Connected to stream: SSL()

Unsetting unknown path: /vmomi/

Making sure that UFAD interface has version vmware-ufad-p2v30-build-62456

UFAD interface version is vmware-ufad-p2v30-build-62456

Task execution completed

Transition from InProgress to Success requested

Transition succeeded

QuerySourceInfo called

Transition succeeded

Successfully connected to VMImporter

Successfully connected to VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Start managed object method for task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task

Waiting for updates from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task

Got an update from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Remote task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task completed

Waiting for updates from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Got an update from VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task

Cleaning up remote task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Disposing task wrapper for task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task

Task failed: P2VError FILE_OPEN_FAILED(D:\vmware\vm_lvtest\Windows XP Bodo 120gb-000007-cl1-000002.vmdk)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Whats the point in having ESX-VMs with ten snapshots ?????

0 Kudos
nightyy
Contributor
Contributor

This developers machine has three branches originating from one xp machines into three development projectshe works on. He changes forth and back a lot in those.

I'd like to run the machine on the ESX-Server because it is much more potent than the older Workstation6 machine 8 cores, 16GB from 1core, 4GB.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What about ghosting three branches into 3 new VMs ?

Everybody usually tells you not to use snapshots on ESX

0 Kudos
nightyy
Contributor
Contributor

So, there is NO official or inofficial way to import snapshotted machines?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Choosing standalone vm (.vmx) will only provide you a vm of your parent disk.

When you power on your vm, what you see as your current running os is what is used for the resulting vm on ESX.

Currently there is no method for converting the specific snapshots themselves.

0 Kudos