VMware Cloud Community
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Working as designed or did something go wrong ?

I just converted an XP Pro physical machine.

I'm sure the conversion Wizard asked me for a new name for the virtual machine, but once the conversion was complete and I ran the machine, it complained that another machine on the network had the same name - which was correct as the name hadn't been changed.

I manually changed the network name of the virtual machine and that stopped the warning, but now if I try to access the original physical machine over the network from the guest I get a Windows message "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed". I seem to be able to access any other machine on the network OK and I can acess the original machine OK if it's the host, via Vmware shared folders.

So does this look like something went wrong (or more likely I chose a wrong setting) and the guest should have been created with a different name to the original physical machine ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did u find a sysprep folder in your target VM, with a sysprep.inf file? since you have checked for customization, so my guess is sysprep didnt work as was supposed to work. or got lost, doing something.. can only say from the log file of what it has done.

can suggest a work around, if you have the sysprep file in the target machine, copy the sysprep executables to the same location and run it manually. will work like a gem. Smiley Wink, rather than converting the machine again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is actually far worse than I first suspected. It seems that the originating physical machine, although able to access any other machine on the network, is unable to be accessed from the network.

I don't know if this is a result of doing the conversion or a coincidence, but either way does anyone have any ideas how I fix it ?

0 Kudos
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, immediate problem solved, I had to remove the physical source machine from the domain and then re-add it.

However I'm thinking that the problme was caused because the converted Vmware machine had the same name as the original physical machine. So did the converter do something wrong or did I ?

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

my guess is you didnt ran sys prep on the new machine for giving a new SID.

After conversion, the target and source machine had the same sid, and when the target machine came online, with the same hostname, and same sid, it could have updated the dc machine with a machine password which is unique for a machine and updated the dc. throwing your source machine out of domain.

Even if you have set for changing the hostname in the new box, and given the locaiton of sysprep files, in the converter, my guess is it didnt execute the sysprep after conversion was complete.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Converter worked as expected. The name that you were asked to type in was only the name that will be displayed in the console of Workstation/Server/Player. This is NOT the same as the Windows machine name. As suggested, you'd need to run sysprep. When running Converter, during "Step 3: Customization", you want to put a check in "Customize the identify of the virtual machine."

david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Customize the identify of the virtual machine was checked as was Generate New Security ID and the location of the Sysprep files was correct.

The field Computer Name: was set to a unique name on the Domain page of the wizard too.

If I look in the log file there's certainly many entries relating to sysprep, so once the conversion had run, should I have done something more manually first.

(I need to convert this machine again as this was just a test run).

0 Kudos
jaganpjames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did u find a sysprep folder in your target VM, with a sysprep.inf file? since you have checked for customization, so my guess is sysprep didnt work as was supposed to work. or got lost, doing something.. can only say from the log file of what it has done.

can suggest a work around, if you have the sysprep file in the target machine, copy the sysprep executables to the same location and run it manually. will work like a gem. Smiley Wink, rather than converting the machine again.

0 Kudos
david_navigator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I have to convert the machine again as I want the Vmware machine to be a current snapshot and as I didn't activate the guest OS, (so Windows won't give me access) I can't now check if the sysprep file has been created.

I have kept a copy of the log files if there's some specific problem I should check for.,

0 Kudos