VMware Cloud Community
dragon632
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows could not start the VMWare vCenter Converter

I'm using vCenter Converter standalone on a Windows 2008 server SP2.

In windows services panel, I found all the services of vCenter converter (Agent, Server and Worker) are not started.

When I was trying to start them manually, I got an error message saying "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

I've already added an entry [ServicesPipeTimeout] in my registry [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control], and I set its value to 3000000000.

However, after I restarted the computer, these services still can't start. The error message was the same as before.

Anyone can help  ?

25 Replies
dragon632
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>However I see error 112 which means "There is not enough space on the disk." for better analyze full logs are required.

The "D:" drive on source machine is 2 TB size and the destination is a mobile harddisk with 4 TB size.

Could you please help to check the attached log ?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your destination is not ESX/VC but Workstation's files on shared folder and obviously there is no free space on destination disk.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A few mote details about file level cloinig, File level cloning can be triggered by several factors: changing cluster size, 4KN sectors on the source, shrinking NTFS volumes or resizing FAT volumes.

In this case it has been triggered by shrinking

2019-09-26T17:43:19.526+08:00 info vmware-converter-agent[06156] [Originator@6876 sub=task-1] GetVolumeCloneMgr: filesystem type: NTFS, source sector size: 512, target sector size: 512, source volume cluster size: 4096, target volume cluster size: 4096, source volume capacity: 2146592358400 bytes, target volume capacity: 161768013824 bytes, resize requested: true.

2019-09-26T17:43:19.526+08:00 info vmware-converter-agent[06156] [Originator@6876 sub=task-1] GetVolumeCloneMgr: File level cloning has been selected for volume \WindowsBitmapDriverVolumeId=[D6-67-A3-C0-00-00-10-35-0C-00-00-00]

2019-09-26T17:43:19.526+08:00 info vmware-converter-agent[06728] [Originator@6876 sub=ThreadPool] Thread enlisted

0 Kudos
dragon632
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for your great support. My physical machine was successfully converted to virtual machine and running on ESXi server

Mikhalich93
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved! In my case my server work in Isolated Network without internet access and WSUS. The windows service "VMware vCenter Converter Server Service" didn't want start.

1) I checked Windows Event log and found error "VMware vCenter Converter Server Service"  with: signature error ...

2) Go to VMware converter install folder? right click on vmware-converte.exe, click to Digital Signatures tab and check that all certificates are trusted and don't have any red crosses, in my case the top level  Root Cert for Time Stamping signature issued by Verisign was untrusted because it was not installed in my system

3) I downloaded the VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certificate Authority - G5 certificate 

4) Installed the certificate to Local Machine > Trusted Root Cert Authorities, checked Digital Signatures on the file again and in my case I saw that all certs became Trusted  and BINGO!, I started the VMware vCenter Converter Server Service without any issues.

*note that you should check all certificates chains in Digital Signatures tab

0 Kudos
Sovon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disable the network connection & force start from services ,that works for me

0 Kudos