VMware Cloud Community
Don40
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Activation after P2V migration

I have done couple of P2V migration and all of them prompts for windows activations for virtual machines after migration . Looks like something to do with OEM license , I tried to repair the Windows OS on the virtual machine thru CD to enter the non OEM license

Issue -

Unable to repair the Virtual machine Windows OS ( as I am unable to view the screen for repair after I press R after booti ng from CD … It goes straight into Recovery console )

C:\Windows >

Please suggest me if any available procedure to resolve this issue ? As I am unable to do any P2 migrations .....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lholling
Expert
Expert

Well unless you have a Volume License for Windows then you will need to activate it again because too much of the hardware has changed and it is therefore a MS requirement to activate.

When I virtualised an old laptop that I had I had to activate it after using the real license key on the bottom of the computer because the OEM license cannot be reactivated. Depending on the state of your VM and whether it can get internet connectivity you may have to ring the activation telephone number to activate your machine. This is what I had to do and the VM has been fine since.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

You can use Sysprep to modify the license information to a different license number.

In Converter, click 'Configure Machine'. Point to the virtual machine you are having a problem with, and at the end of the wizard ... check Customization.

You will need to provide the sysprep files for the specific revision of windows you are customizing, and just follow along with the rest of the wizard.

0 Kudos
Don40
Contributor
Contributor

I have a volume license ,but how do I change it ....

I tried using sysprep while converting ...it failed

I tried using the VM to boot with CD ( But I press R to repair the OS ..it goes start into Recovery console ? )

0 Kudos
lholling
Expert
Expert

As far as the Volume License it depends on whether the XP was built with a VLA version of the XP CD. If not then you will have this problem. The only thing to do is once it is converted then do as IamTHEvilONE suggested and use Converter to modify although based on the fact that it wants activation you will have to either get it on the internet or ring the number.

As far as Sysprep do you have the required files in the correct Converter directory?

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos