VMware Cloud Community
MJBPot
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 conversino fails at 98% "FAILED: A general system error occurred: InternalError"

Hi,

The migration from a windows 7 32 bit systems fails at 98%.

FAILED: A general system error occurred:
InternalError

See attachment fot the log file.

Can someone help?

Best regards,

Maurice

0 Kudos
6 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are some errors with software registry hive:

2016-04-12T01:49:53.866+02:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[04796] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] ERROR 1016 (loading hive) loading temporary hive \\.\vstor2-mntapi20-shared-9C063338000010000000000005000000\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE under key name mntApi362902995230512204.

The error 1016 is: "An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush,  one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry."

Your anti virus is active, which sometimes is a problem, especially with file-level cloning.

Seems that UAC is not disabled and you don't use user named 'administrator', so turn UAC off too.

You can try to reconfig only new VM (sometimes this kind of error is because of lack of system resources, restart your host and close other programs before reconfigure attempt).

HTH

0 Kudos
mribeiro01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MJBPot,

Make sure the network card of the source VM is not set below the vm convert or destination vm.

I had a similar problem, I decided to leave the network cards in automatic mode

0 Kudos
MJBPot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH,

Your solution did not work.. 😞

0 Kudos
MJBPot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mribeiro01,

I can choose from; "bridged", "NAT" of "host only"

It is now on "bridged".

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you run "chkdsk c: /b"? Sometimes the source registry are not in clean state so the resulting ones too.

0 Kudos
MJBPot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Poceh,

Also run the chkdsk.

Also not the solution.

Other solutions?

0 Kudos