VMware Cloud Community
hayner
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2k3 ent conversion fails at ~95%; crashes Windows server

I am having an issue with a client that absolutely refuses to be converted. The server is W2k3, 4G Ram, ~45G used disk on a single C: partition. I am trying to convert using 4.0.1 into an ESX 3.5u2 environment. I have tried converting remotely, and with converter directly installed on the system. Both cause the crash at the same time, and leave the same errors in the logs.

I have searched the forums and haven't found anything that helps me understand or resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the windows error from the event log:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: USER32

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1076

Date: 7/12/2009

Time: 3:53:58 PM

User: ISET-CAIRO-SV\Administrator

Computer: ISET-CAIRO-SV

Description:

The reason supplied by user ISET-CAIRO-SV\Administrator for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error

Reason Code: 0x805000f

Bug ID:

Bugcheck String: 0x0000003f (0x00000000, 0x00001135, 0x00001a39, 0x000055ff)

Comment: 0x0000003f (0x00000000, 0x00001135, 0x00001a39, 0x000055ff)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 0f 00 05 08 ....

Here is the part of the converter log that shows the error:

Waiting on channel task-1

Received task updates at version 97

processing object update 0 for filter 0

update for prop event[6]

AddEvent for channel task-1

Event[177]

Waiting on channel task-1

Failed to send request. Retrying. Error: class Vmacore::SystemException(The specified network name is no longer available. )

Caught an exception while waiting on the agent task to complete. Gathering agent logs before propogating the exception further. Exception message: vmodl.fault.SecurityError

The task with id = "task-7" was found to be a "recent" task.

No existing log bundle found for task with id = "task-7". The task is still "recent" so a log bundle will now be generated for it.

Retrieving task related diagnostics for server task with id = "task-7".

Generating agent log bundle for server task with id = "task-7" and agent task with id = "task-1".

Unable to generate the task's log bundle.

CancelWaitForUpdates failed

Disconnected

Unexpected Exception: vmodl.fault.SecurityError

Backtrace:

backtrace[00] eip 0x101172a5 ?AbortProcess@System@Vmacore@@YAXXZ

backtrace[01] eip 0x100c365a ?CreateBacktrace@SystemFactoryImpl@System@Vmacore@@UAEXAAV?$Ref@VBacktrace@System@Vmacore@@@3@@Z

backtrace[02] eip 0x10066dd0 ??0Throwable@Vmacore@@QAE@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z

backtrace[03] eip 0x00471b29 (no symbol)

backtrace[04] eip 0x00475c35 ??0TypeImpl@Vmomi@@QAE@ABV01@@Z

backtrace[05] eip 0x004a8e34 ?Throw@SecurityError@Fault@Vmomi@@UAEXXZ

backtrace[06] eip 0x004ed571 ?CreateSoapStubAdapter@Vmomi@@YAXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@PAVSSLContext@Ssl@Vmacore@@_N00PAVVersion@1@PAVLogger@Service@6@AAV?$Ref@VStubAdapter@Vmomi@@@6@@Z

backtrace[07] eip 0x004edf61 ?CreateSoapStubAdapter@Vmomi@@YAXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@PAVSSLContext@Ssl@Vmacore@@_N00PAVVersion@1@PAVLogger@Service@6@AAV?$Ref@VStubAdapter@Vmomi@@@6@@Z

backtrace[08] eip 0x004b54d4 ?_Invoke_Task@StubImpl@Vmomi@@UAEXPAVManagedMethod@2@AAV?$RefVector@VAny@Vmomi@@@Vmacore@@AAV?$Ref@VAny@Vmomi@@@5@@Z

backtrace[09] eip 0x01c8c7c5 ?GetState@TaskDescription@Task@Converter@@QBEPAV?$DataArray@VElementDescription@Vim@@@Vmomi@@XZ

backtrace[10] eip 0x035fc98a (no symbol)

backtrace[11] eip 0x03600743 (no symbol)

backtrace[12] eip 0x035e57e6 (no symbol)

backtrace[13] eip 0x035ed758 (no symbol)

backtrace[14] eip 0x035e261e (no symbol)

backtrace[15] eip 0x035e6255 (no symbol)

backtrace[16] eip 0x035df93e (no symbol)

backtrace[17] eip 0x035dfcc3 (no symbol)

backtrace[18] eip 0x035e33f3 (no symbol)

backtrace[19] eip 0x10118baf ?GetThreadId@System@Vmacore@@YA_JXZ

backtrace[20] eip 0x1011c253 ?IsEnlisted@System@Vmacore@@YA_NXZ

backtrace[21] eip 0x10118baf ?GetThreadId@System@Vmacore@@YA_JXZ

backtrace[22] eip 0x10118dca ?GetThreadId@System@Vmacore@@YA_JXZ

backtrace[23] eip 0x781329bb _endthreadex

backtrace[24] eip 0x78132a47 _endthreadex

-- ERROR -- Convert: vmodl.fault.SecurityError

(vmodl.fault.SecurityError) {

dynamicType = ,

msg = ""

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what happens on the ESX ? - does the VM arrive ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
hayner
Contributor
Contributor

The VM arrives, but it's in some kind of broken state. It powers on, then goes straight to a blue screen of death, then reboots. This loop repeats infinitely, and very fast, until I force a poweroff.

I suppose I should add that this is over a rather slow network port, and it takes ~4 hours to finish when the original estimate is around 50 minutes. I have had VMs take a long time before, but this is the first time I have had such trouble with a conversion.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Try to reconfigure it

0 Kudos
hayner
Contributor
Contributor

I shall try this in the future; however I found a temporary solution. I got an old copy of converter 3.0.3 and the conversion worked 100%. This was time sensitive so I wasn't able to troubleshoot further.

I hope to borrow the physical machine to continue working on this until I figure out exactly why it failed, and why with the earlier version it succeeded.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Fine - nothing to troubleshoot IMHO but best practice - if Converter Plan A fails - go to Plan B immediatly

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check if have all files in windows/driver cache/i386 (Driver.cab and others).

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Sveinol
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same isue with a 2003 SP2 Serer and 4.x Converter.

Servers goes BSOD @ 95%

Analyzed the minidump from windows and it seems that the VMWare Converter Generates a memory crash.

Trying with 3.0.3 now to se how that works out.

Seems there are some bugs in the new 4.x Converter.

0 Kudos
emcclend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm getting the same error while converting one of my W2K3 boxes. I'm using converter 4.x and I get the error doing it remotly and locally. I also found my 3.03 copy and it works just fine both remotly and locally. So far all of my other servers have been working fine with converter 4.x, however for some reason this one does not. Does any one know if there has been any fix to this issue? I get the same error code 0x805000f each time the server fails and restarts when using converter 4.x.

0 Kudos
Sveinol
Contributor
Contributor

Hei.

Jeg har Pappa Perm Permisjon og er tilbake 09.11.2009

Er tilgjendelig på mail og er det noe som haster ta kontakt med kontoret

på telefon 69015950 eller support@nisec.no

Mvh Svein

0 Kudos