VMware Cloud Community
Tox
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2000 server, failed to take snapshot of a source volume

When i try to convert my windows 2000 server to my ESX, i get the following error:

---

ERROR: Failed to take snapshot of a source volume.

Possible causes include not having any NTFS volumes on Windows XP or Windows 2003 source systems,

and not having enough free disk space.

---

The harddisk on the win2000 is 16gb and only 4gb is in use, and there is plenty of free space on the ESX.

Any one have an idea how to fix this error ?

If the log file can to any use, they are here.

http://www.tox.dk/udkast/webprods01-logs/

Many thanks in front Smiley Happy

// Michael - Tox
0 Kudos
22 Replies
matt4130
Contributor
Contributor

Just out of interest, does this only happen when you have it installed on the machine you are P2Ving?

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Windows 2003 / XP uses VSS (volume shadow copy service) which can also be titled "vsnap" within the logs.

Windows 2000 / NT4 does not have VSS so we install our own service called stcp2v30. (This used to be called stcbasic.sys in older versions of p2v logs)

What you will see in the logs is the following events ....

- check to see if VSS is running and reachable

- if yes, then assume machine is 2k3/xp style and use VSS and if no, then continue

- check to see if stcp2v30 is running and reachable

- if yes, then assume machine is 2k/nt4 style and use stcp2v30

So following the above when running converter remotely or locally, you will ALWAYS see "vsnap does not have admin rights" for all windows 2000 and NT4 machines. If you see it for 2003 and XP then chances are you need to use the local admin or verify VSS is trouble-free.

- net start vss

But if you see that error followed by a similar error for stcp2v30/stcbasic then chances are you need to check underlying issues with the newly introduced server:

- did you reboot since the install?

- do you have conflicting p2v agents under add/remove programs (maybe you tried first with VC 2.5 p2v plugin and now with standalone version thus 2 different agents)

- is the service started? (net start stcp2v30)

0 Kudos
radio_müsli
Contributor
Contributor

solved it by running checkdisk: chkdsk c: /f

hth

0 Kudos