VMware Cloud Community
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2000 SP4 Server Acronis Image & SCSIPORT.SYS

Hi Folks!

Im having difficulty successfully converting a Windows 2004 Server wSP4 Acronis Image to a VM. Here is my setup and steps i have taken so far:

VMware Converter 3.0.2 build 59994

Acronis 9 image of a Windows 2000 Server w/ SP4

Version of scsiport.sys in image is 7017

Per - I downloaded Microsoft Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 1 Version 2 (Microsoft KB891861) and extracted it to a temp folder.

During Conversion Process, I pointed Converter to the updated scsiport.sys version 7059. It still gave me a warning message about the version. Moving forward, the conversion completed 100%.

Powering on the VM gives me an "Error loading operating system" message in the console.

This is where i am stuck

Do I need to apply the Microsoft Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 1 Version 2 (Microsoft KB891861) to the Acronis Image first? If so, how can i inject this into the image? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I just powered on a W2k3 converted VM and got the same "error loading operating system" message. This VM was converted from an Acronis 9 image as well. During the conversion wizard, i did not receive any warnings or errors and it cleanly completed at 100%

Am i missing something here? Please help!

Thanks!

Leo

Message was edited by: BSI-Miami

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>The windows 2000 image has 2 drives (C: - Basic and 😧 - Dynamic)

Can you find out if it is partition related?

Disable the pagefile if it is on 😧 and set it to system managed to C: and try to convert just the C drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Apply the rollup v2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904374

The BROKEN version in v1 is dated 29 Dec 2004 and is version 5.0.2195.7017

The FIXED version in v2 is dated 14 Jul 2005 and is version 5.0.2195.7059

Also make sure you didnt make an Image of a machine built on software mirrors - unsupported. If in doubt and you get a non-bootable VM, mount the vmdk file to a functional windows VM and check the attached vmdk file through disk management. Make note of basic vs dynamic. Check them in fdisk as well for their layout. sometimes they appear as extended.

BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The image for the Win2000 source machine has drive D as dynamic (its actually a LUN presented to the server). However, the image for the Win2003 source machine has only drive C: which is a Basic disk. The C: drive is mirrored by the array controller (HP DL360 G2) in a RAID 1 config. Would that still make a difference?

Also, for the Win2k3 converted VM, i tried doing a repair-install of the OS using the VMware SCSI floppy image (F6 during setup) and it still gives me the "Error locating operating system" after rebooting.

Im giving up on the Win2000 image because of the dynamic disks, however the Win2k3 converted VM should be working. I just cant figure that one out. Any other ideas?

Thanks for you help!

Leo

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try removing as much HP software from add/remove programs. Also check device manager.

0 Kudos
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm convinced that Converter just doesn't like Acronis images, or at least mine. I cant get either converted image to find the operating system. Ive tried every suggestion possible that I've found on the forums, kb, Google, and nothing works. Ive tried repair-installs of the OS, I've modified the boot.ini, injected the proper scsi drivers into the vm, nothing works.

I don't have the luxury to work with the physical source machine either. All i have are Acronis images of them ... to say i am frustrated is an understatement

/rant off

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Were multiple disks created in the destination? Can you try flipping the disk boot order to boot from scsi0:! instead of scsi0:0?

BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The windows 2000 image has 2 drives (C: - Basic and 😧 - Dynamic) and on the Windows 2003 image, there is only 1 disk (C: - Basic). I'll give that a try on the Win2k VM and see if that works.

EDIT

Just to clarify, when you say "try flipping the disk boot order to boot from scsi0:! instead of scsi0:0" are you referring to changing the Vitrual Device Node in the Hardware tab of the VM Properties (Edit Settings)? If so, i switched the order from SCSI (0:0) to SCSI (0:1) and vice versa and it still does not work. This is for the Win2000 VM that is utilizing the BusLogic SCSI controller.

This is so frustrating because the conversion completes 100% with no errors but the newly created VM does not start up -- Error loading operating system

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>The windows 2000 image has 2 drives (C: - Basic and 😧 - Dynamic)

Can you find out if it is partition related?

Disable the pagefile if it is on 😧 and set it to system managed to C: and try to convert just the C drive.

0 Kudos
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am please to report that I have successfully converted the troublesome Win2000 Acronis image into a working VM! dance of joy

It turned out the image contained a small partion before C:\ that was 34MB .. this is apparently the partition that HP/Compaq SmartStart creates on the server when you build it for the first time. I selected only Drive C and D this time instead of ALL disks and it worked the moment I powered on the VM!

I still havent been able to get the 2k3 Acronis image working yet ... I'm tackling that now.

Thanks for all the helpful insight you guys provided. This community rocks!

Cheers,

Leo

0 Kudos
gautam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it. I'll follow up inernally to see if we can resolve this in future versions.

0 Kudos
BSI-Miami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK this is really weird ... .I have successfully converted my Windows 2003 Acronis image! The converted VM now powers on successfully into Windows. This is weird because I did absolutely nothing different this time. I repeated the same exact steps I was performing (Convert *.tib image / change SCSI controller to LSI / Power on VM) and it all of a sudden works! Weird....

Weeee!

0 Kudos