VMware Cloud Community
philreed
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 guests?

Anybody know when Converter will be able to handle Win 7 (x64) guests? Right now, when I point it at a Win7 guest on an ESXi4 host, I get the generic "unable to obtain harware information" error.

I suspect this is the same problem we see for Win Server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

we have issues with the 100mb boot partition. Converter doesn't officially support Win7 yet, and doesn't handle Win 2008 R2 (which is only 64-bit) very well.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

The stand alone converter doesn't either?

0 Kudos
philreed
Contributor
Contributor

The stand alone converter doesn't either?

Nope.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

why would you want to run Converter against a Win7 that already runs on ESX ?

What ever you want to do now - there are workarounds that do not involve Converter

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
philreed
Contributor
Contributor

It's an easy way to clone the VM to another ESXi box.

I haven't investigated other ways to do this yet, so if you can point me at them, I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

power down the VM.

Then copy the complete directory to a second host with Winscp or the tool of your choice.

On first boot on the new host tempoarily disable the virtual nics and adjust hostname and Ips.

Then reboot and re-enable the virtual nics

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos