VMware Cloud Community
JaganKarthik
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 64-bit P2V Conversion - FAILED at 96%

Hi,

I am trying to convert a Win 7 physical machine to a virtual machine using VMware vCentre Converter Standalone. The process fails at 96% with an error message "FAILED: Unable to find system volume. Reconfiguration is not possible".

The original physical machine has four partitions namely System Reserved, C:, 😧 and Recovery. System Reserved is marked as Active and I presume this partition contains the boot configuration data required to boot up the machine after virtualization (please correct me if I am wrong).

I have tried the solution offered at the following link but unfortunately i can't get it to work.

P2V conversion of a Windows 2008 R2 machine fails at 96% in VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (200...

And I don't understand the solution mentioned in this link:

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

I thought I could repair the converted virtual machine (with 96%) using windows installation disc but i can't get my external USB DVD ROM to be read by the virtual machine during boot up. I cannot boot the machine from this DVD ROM because it is not recognized in the list of devices in BIOS settings. I am using Workstation 14. So that's another problem that I am facing.

If someone could please advise on what steps I could take to resolve this, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you upload log bundle?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you try to only run reconfiguration on the destination machine? ('configure machine' button)

As for the logs - if the it was converted as remote Windows machine - attach the agent log from the source machine; if it is this local machine - the worker log.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
engedib
Contributor
Contributor

Instead of the converter, I would try using Macrium Reflect. Any paid version has the "Dissimilar hardware restore":

Re-deploying Windows to new hardware using Macrium ReDeploy - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowle...

0 Kudos
RaspyBear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you can try to use DISK2VHD and see if the same, check the link below with steps:

Disk2VHD - Convert physical machines to virtual

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you have RAID configured?

0 Kudos