VMware Cloud Community
mjahnke
Contributor
Contributor

Will vcenter converter standalone 6 2 0 1 work to save to a vmware 7 licensed host from a

I am trying to get all VMs moved to a licensed 7.0 host server from a 6.5 free version host.  Will the VMware Vcenter Converter Standalone version 6.2.0 work to move a Server 2012r2 std server from the old host to the 7.0 host.  Or is there a later version of the converter that will work?

Moderator edit by wila: Moved to Converter Standalone discussions forum

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pretty sure that's the latest and last version of the Standalone Converter. The guest OS is still supported:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.2/rn/conv_sa_62_rel_notes.html

Please advised that it doesn't support virtual hardware versions above 11. While you can't technically "downgrade" the virtual hardware version, it's possible to work around it by editing the .VMX directly, if needed.

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I have tried it with ESXi 7.0 (not U1). Only issue I have faced is that is if you try to link ESXi hosts as source and destination directly rather than VCSA, Converter gives error that host is managed by VCSA. In that case you have to connect Converter to VCSAs to initiate migration.

Or if you can disconnect hosts from VCSA and then try, it will work fine then.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos