VMware Cloud Community
guan8
Contributor
Contributor

Will Converter Standalone support newer kernels soon?

Hi!

I am trying to convert a physical 18.04 ubuntu server into a vm running on my single esxi 6.7 host (free license). I am, like a lot of people, running into problems when the converter reaches 97% and fails to install the GRUB boot loader.

I tried reading a lot of posts and tried configuring the GRUB boot loader, mount points in fstab and initrd by myself after the failed conversion, but I am not that tech savvy and it didn't turn out great.

Converting ubuntu 16.04 works great, and the Converter seems like a great tool. I am wondering if there are any plans or maybe people are working at this moment to support newer versions of linux, like ubuntu 18.04?

//Gustav

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There are a couple folks from the Converter team that may see this and respond, but generally I ask the question:  Why are you installing OSs of modern vintage only to turn around and convert them later? At this point in the game, that should probably be unnecessary and conversion is really just a legacy concept and only for corner cases.

0 Kudos
guan8
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, by "OSs of modern vintage", do you mean installing a modern OS on a physical machine? I received an old NUC from a friend and decided to run a web- and ftpserver on it, and now I want to move that machine to a more modern solution.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, I mean installing new OSs on physical machines and then wanting to convert them soon (recently).

0 Kudos