VMware Cloud Community
Nikhil11
Contributor
Contributor

Why does the Vmware converter 5.1 take so much time

Hi,

I am using Vmware Converter 5.1 to convert a 80 Gb vm to resize it. It is showing the estimated time of completion in 13 and half hours i need to convert several other VM's in my environment of higher size but am skeptical as they are business critical and i can keep them shut down for a long time . Also, these VM's have a huge size in matter of disk space and memory usage. I need to know any way to acclerate the process . Also, i would be extremely grateful if any one can tell me whether i can resize a Rhel VM to reduce physical disk usage.

Thanks and regards

Nikhil

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nikhil11
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry for the typographical error in the above message. I meant to mention that i cant keep my Mission critical VM's offline for a long time

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sometimes there are more easy way(s) to change the volume size - depends on what OS you are using and what you want to do - reduce or enlarge volumes. Under Windows OS reducing volume size triggers file-level cloning which is slowest possible way to transfer disk data, possible speed up could be achieved if you turn off SSL encription: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/333786?start=0&tstart=0

The Linux cloning is always performed on file-level so it is possible to change the volume size Smiley Happy

HTH

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can also use synchronization to minimize the downtime, though only for Windows sources.

0 Kudos