VMware Cloud Community
markbedford
Contributor
Contributor

Why does Virtual center has to be uninstalled?

I administer my entire VM infrastructure via Virtual centre, why does it need to be uninstalled to use VM importer??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VC does not need to be uninstalled.

You have two options.

Install VMImporter in a different host or install VMImporter in one of the VMs that you administer.

0 Kudos
forearms
Contributor
Contributor

i don't think you answered the question. I have the same question.

1. why can't you install VC and VMimporter on the same physical host? What are the technical limitations that prohibit this, and will this be resolved in the future?

2. It would be nice to utilize the management server (VC) to also manage the import / export of virtual machines via Vmware Importer

If you have a fast enough system for VC and would like to also utilize it for importing you should be able too. Putting the importer app into a virtual may not be in everyone's best interest. The best analogy I can come up with is with managing a blade server environment. They recommend that your management pieces and tools be out of band and not run on a blade itself. This allows you to manage the blade environment even if there is a problem within the physical blade environment itself. Because the tools are out of band you never have to worry about the tools being unavailable in the event of a blade hardware failure.

Forearms

0 Kudos
markbedford
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou forearms as I beleive that most people will want to install the Virtual machine importer on the same machine that they have VC installed.

Until this is rectifyied I might as well stick to my own P2V solution i've created using a combination of Bart XPE and Ultimate P2V which seems to offer a more streamlined process than Virtual Machine importer offers, oh and works VC or no VC Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Virtual Machine Importer 2 Beta will not install on the same host as Virtual Center Beta 2. This is because the Importer Beta modifies a component that is also used by Virtual Center Beta, and we did not want to introduce this variable into the Virtual Center Beta process.

-Alvin

0 Kudos