VMware Cloud Community
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why does Converter change Static IP on server to DHCP?

Did I miss a step somewhere? I get a "hidden folder" message

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gpetkov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe this is the default behaviour (assuming a physical source) unless you do customization, available in Advanced options > Configure guest preferences for the virtual machine ( > Next > ) and then setting the desired NIC configuration in Network Interface Settings. Note that Configure guest preferences is enabled (assuming you are converting a Windows machine) only if you have the corresponding sysprep files.

Having said this, what's the type and OS of the machine you're converting?

If you're getting a "hidden folder" message you may want to read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

when you create an image using VMware Converter, one of the last tasks the product performs, is the customization of the image (in this case, the virtual machine created during the process)

as part of the customization, it performs the installation of VMware Tools and "hides" the physical hardware (the hiding is because when you install VMware Tools it installs the driver for the virtual NIC)

that is why it is recommended that you take a note on the physical configuration for the network

regards

Jose Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
theblackknight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So is the DHCP by design or do I have the option to specify the static?

0 Kudos
gpetkov
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe this is the default behaviour (assuming a physical source) unless you do customization, available in Advanced options > Configure guest preferences for the virtual machine ( > Next > ) and then setting the desired NIC configuration in Network Interface Settings. Note that Configure guest preferences is enabled (assuming you are converting a Windows machine) only if you have the corresponding sysprep files.

Having said this, what's the type and OS of the machine you're converting?

If you're getting a "hidden folder" message you may want to read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

0 Kudos
OVFTOOL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, all

i encounter the same issue, while using converter standalone 4.01  to convert vm from ESXi3.5 host

any ways to avoid this instead of setting ip back by manual?

0 Kudos
OVFTOOL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

why my "guest preferences for the virtual machine" is disabled? by the way , i am using converter standalone 4.01,  and the os to convert is windowsXP.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you want to preserve the IP during P2V use a netsh cmd

dump current IP-settings before starting Converter and restore on first boot after P2V

0 Kudos
OVFTOOL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thx, continuum

0 Kudos