VMware Cloud Community
rchin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why Virtual Disk Type Was Created as SCSI ???

WS 5.5.1-19175

Host:XP Home

Guest: XP Pro

I hot-cloned my work ThinkPad T40 (XP Pro) into standalone vm

(Physical disk size 40GB, I opted 20GB for v-disk)

The T40 is non-SCSI but somehow the v-disk was created as SCSI disk

why/how so ? Is it because of the Guest OS ?

Was there an option given by the Converter to select v-disk type like Workstantion's Wizard does ?

thanks

WS 6.5.1-126130 Host: Vista SP1 Guests: Ubuntu 8.04, XP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Disks are created as SCSI because engineers must have thought that nobody would P2V to IDE.

Why convert into IDE when it is supposed to run on ESX ?

You can manually rewrite to IDE -no problem but Converter or Assistent will not help you with driver-fixing.

Check well-known FIX-IDE-patch known in PE-scene and in google - on the other hand - I really see no reason to complain.

You can have much more disks with SCSI ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rchin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

bump

WS 6.5.1-126130 Host: Vista SP1 Guests: Ubuntu 8.04, XP
0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure but i think every convert you run converter converts every hard drive to SCSI from IDE. i should still work just fine.

Stephen

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Disks are created as SCSI because engineers must have thought that nobody would P2V to IDE.

You can manually rewrite to IDE -no problem but Converter or Assistent will not help you with driver-fixing.

Check well-known FIX-IDE-patch known in PE-scene and in google - on the other hand - I really see no reason to complain.

You can have much more disks with SCSI ...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, maybe someday soon they'll get their head out of the sand and add virtual IDE disk support to ESX. It'd help the Virtual Appliance authors, as usually IDE disks are ubiquitous and every OS supports them. And, it's especially important now with the VDI push. Not too many desktop systems out there are running on SCSI hard drives.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Rob - you forget one aspect Smiley Wink

Every Windows-box converted into a IDE-VM is ground-loss Smiley Wink

Once it is a IDE-VM it easily runs on VPC,Parallels, Virtual BOX ...

VMware VMs are the only ones that use SCSI - hmmm - do you add a IDE-VM button to your GUI ??? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
PWILSON
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is another issue. Our whole company is migrating ALL their software products to WinXP Embedded.

I tried to Convert one of the embedded OS and start it up in Workstation 5.1. It attempted to located a SCSI drive and blue screened right off the bat. The source computer was using a IDE.

I have no idea how to change the VM image to IDE so I can attempt to boot up. If I can't resolve this issue, we may have to drop VMware and go with MS. THAT would NOT be good!!!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

porting XP-embedded ain't trivial.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for your scenario if you do the porting at the time you build the embedded system ?

Instead of building for your local hardware you build for VMware too.

If you have it working once you may be able to make a diff and prepare a registry patch that you can apply on the next candidate.

Anyway - you may be interested in the FIX-IDE patch - I explained how to use it in the Ultimate P2V-thread in the user-solutions-area.

Ulli

0 Kudos
PWILSON
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulli, I reviewed your post re: UltimateP2V, but was not able to find the FIXIDE plugin. Could you direct me to the correct location?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

we talked about it here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=31448

scroll down half the way - when you see lots of red text you are in the right area.

Actually we used the patch directly - no plugin was necessary or used.

Just boot from somewhere else - load hives and apply the patch.

Ulli

0 Kudos