VMware Cloud Community
Byron_Zhao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While determining chunk size, truncated HTTP response

Just upgraded a standalone Converter to 4.0.1, and it ran into an error at the step it is trying to do the destination VC inventory. It says, "A general system error occurred: While determining chunk size, truncated HTTP response. "

Here is what I found in the log at the users profile at Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs. Does anyone else run into this problem? Thanks

Connecting to server on pipeName
.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap.

SSL:false

Path:/converter/sdk

VMODL version:converter.version.version1

NOT using SSL to connect to VMOMI server
.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap

Getting ServiceInstance contents

Yes, we connected to Converter Server.

Logging in to Converter Server (Using Impersonate).

Converter Server session established. (Session ID = "09C456E5-771D-4448-81CA-D4E2B4A4F382")

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type microsoftVirtualPCVM not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type parallelsVM not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type vmwareVCBBackup not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type livestateBackup not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type shadowProtectBackup not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type acronisBackup not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildFilter 3rd party type vmwareVM not found

SourceSelectPluginModel::BuildThirdpartyHostedExtVector 3rd party type vmwareVM not found

BZ

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error:"A general system error occurred: While determining chunk size, truncated HTTP response."

Also the vCentre converter plugin When I try to import/convert a server , it fails with "unable to connect to vcenter converter server."

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos
Tu_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have the same exact problem as well. However, it used to work for me and just stop working for a week or so. Love to see if anyone has a fix for it.

Thanks

I found this line in the vmware-converer-server.log after I stop vmware converter 4 from running which matches up with what displayed in the vmware converter GUI:

While determining chunk size, truncated HTTP response.

Below is the full log:

User agent is 'VMware-client/4.0.0'

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1491 bytes)

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: false UnderstandsChunking: true CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

Registering session with cnxId=5E0B2A72-63FA-498D-8789-9B8BF268BFDE

Event[20]

RecordOp ADD: sessionList, SessionManager

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 729 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1439 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1439 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1603 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 30403 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 467 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 520 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 653 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 450 bytes)

Registering session with cnxId=B5BBC3D8-FF48-4865-8625-F526D9F11D6D

Event[21]

RecordOp ADD: sessionList, SessionManager

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 727 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 542 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 539 bytes)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1512 bytes)

FillPageContents(): currentPage is 0

subpages = 1

Created data connection SourceSelect

parameter>>> DefaultPhysicalSource ( 1 )

parameter>>> DefaultRemoteOS ( windowsOs )

parameter>>> DefaultSource ( 0 )

parameter>>> OvfFilter ( )

parameter>>> ShowServer20 ( False )

parameter>>> ShowStandalone ( True )

parameter>>> ThirdPartyHostedFilter ( Microsoft Virtual PC (.vmc)</val></ConverterLogicKeyValuePair><ConverterLogicKeyValuePair xsi:type="ConverterLogicKeyValuePair"><key>parallelsVM</key><val xsi:type="xsd:string">Parallels Virtualization Products Image (.pvs)Symantec LiveState Recovery Image (*.sv2i .sv2)</val></ConverterLogicKeyValuePair><ConverterLogicKeyValuePair xsi:type="ConverterLogicKeyValuePair"><key>shadowProtectBackup</key><val xsi:type="xsd:string">StorageCraft ShadowStor Image (.spf)Acronis True Image Backup (.tib)</val></ConverterLogicKeyValuePair><ConverterLogicKeyValuePair xsi:type="ConverterLogicKeyValuePair"><key>vmwareVCBBackup</key><val xsi:type="xsd:string">VMware Consolidated Backup (.vmx)</val></ConverterLogicKeyValuePair></obj> )

parameter>>> VMwareHostedFilter ( )

Creating SOAP stub adapter over pipe:
.\pipe\vmware-converter-agent-soap

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 453 bytes)

Impersonating Administrator

FillPage()

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 5112 bytes)

Trying connection to server 'prodvc' with user 'xxxxxx'

Getting VIM connection to prodvc...

Connecting to host prodvc on port 443

Local and Remote Version are the same. Talking with version vim.version.version5

Authenticating user xxxxxx

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 442 bytes)

Testing client connection to agent

Reusing existing agent connection

Testing client connection to agent

Reusing existing agent connection

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 5376 bytes)

FillPageContents(): currentPage is 1

subpages = 1

Created data connection ManagedMachineDataConnection

parameter>>> AllowHostsAndClusters ( True )

parameter>>> AllowVMList ( True )

parameter>>> AllowVMsAndTemplates ( True )

parameter>>> DefaultView ( 0 )

Trying connection to server 'prodvc' with user 'xxxxxx'

Reusing existing VIM connection to prodvc

FillPage()

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1888 bytes)

GetInventory called for server 'prodvc' for user 'xxxxxx'

Reusing existing VIM connection to prodvc

inventoryCollector: Server supports VirtualApp = true

While determining chunk size, truncated HTTP response.*

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 680 bytes)

VimConnectionStore stopping keepalive

Scheduled timer canceled, StopKeepAlive succeeds

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 446 bytes)

CloseSession called for session id=B5BBC3D8-FF48-4865-8625-F526D9F11D6D

Unregistering session with cnxID=B5BBC3D8-FF48-4865-8625-F526D9F11D6D

RecordOp REMOVE: sessionList, SessionManager

Event[22]

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 400 bytes)

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor

Tu,

Are you using the vCentre Converter or the standalone one?

Have you got any other issues within vCentre like when searching or displaying the Hardware Status?

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos
Tu_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jawdat,

I am using vmware converter standalone version 4.0.1. Other than my vmware converter log on problem, it seems everything is a OK for me. I also running powershell vCheck scripts everyday which requires me to log on to to the same vCentre without any problem. I also check the ports by telnet to the vCentre and it works fine.

thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Tu_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just to be clearer. what I was trying to do is a V2V process. 1. Start converter, select the source VM which asks me to log on to vCenter. While it displays " loading inventory..." this error then occurs after a short pause.

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced this before. You have a corrupted table that holds the inventory (vms,storage,network,disks...) or parts of it.

Unfortunately to clear this is to go through the inventory, remove a host at a time and add it back into the cluster - no risks on the VMs they'll keep on running normally. This will narrow it down to which inventory entry is causing it. Then hopefully when adding the host it will tell you which VM or Appliance that has an error.

Depends on how many hosts/vms you got but this is likely to clear your converter problem.

0 Kudos
Tu_Nguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It turned out that there was a corrupted VM in my vCenter. once I unregister and register it the problem is fixed.

When I discorvered the VM, I couldn't do anything to it. everytime you try, VC came up with an error message saying that there is a problem with the VM. (sorry, I didn't capture the actual mesage)

0 Kudos