VMware Cloud Community
jianni
Contributor
Contributor

While converting a vmc file VMWare Converter: (A file I/O error occurred while accesssing ". )

I have an old vmc file that fine for years with Microsofts VirtualPC. I just converted to Windows 10 and I found out that vmc are no longer supported.

I was hoping VMware had something to convert/run vmcs, so I downloaded VMWare Converter and pointed the wizard to my vmc file and within a few seconds I get a "A file I/O error occurred while accesssing ". error.  The file is a local file and I'm running this in Windows 10 64-bit. I tried to convert some previous backup vmc files and they all give the same error at the same point. I don't think the vmc files are corrupted as they were working a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried this ?

You can import a Windows Virtual PC virtual machine and run it in Workstation. Workstation converts the virtual machine from Virtual PC (.vmc) format to VMware runtime (.vmx) format. This feature is supported only on Windows host systems.

Download and install the Virtual PC virtual machine on the Windows host system.

In Workstation, select File > Open.

If you have never imported a third-party virtual machine or virtualized a physical machine in Workstation, Workstation installs VMware vCenter Converter Standalone. After the installation is finished, you must restart the import.

Browse to the  .vmc file and click Open.

Type a name for the virtual machine, type or browse to the directory for the virtual machine files, and click Import.

After Workstation successfully imports the Virtual PC virtual machine, the virtual machine appears in the virtual machine library.

0 Kudos