VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Where to find Converter error..

Dear Team,

just want to know if I am getting any error on standalone converter while restoring or while doing p2v then which file shall i read/refer so that i can troubleshoot the reported problem. Once i export logs  i m getting n  number of files over there , but don't know which file shall i read to troubleshoot the problem, hence need expert asisstance on the same.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is almost always preferable to export the logs for the failed task.

In case you want to collect them manually or when te failure occurs before the task has started, then it depends on the situation. Worker log is always useful, server's and UI logs are usuful only occasionally. in case of V2V there are no additional logs.

In case of Windows P2V agent's log is useful; it resides on the source machine.

In case of Linux P2V helper's log is useful; it is located on the destination VM but for manual collection the VM need not be rebooted (it boots from ISO and has memory mapped disk during conversion)

Regards

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010633/

Usually worker's log is the place to look. If you are doing Windows P2V, agent's log may also be needed.

Regards,

Plamen

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear Friend(patanassov),

Ur link is useful,  if i want to submit logs to VMware team,

my query is if I m getting any kind of error while doing p2v process or if p2v process fails inbetween , then which file shall i refer for an excat error so that i can troubleshoot in a right direction.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It is almost always preferable to export the logs for the failed task.

In case you want to collect them manually or when te failure occurs before the task has started, then it depends on the situation. Worker log is always useful, server's and UI logs are usuful only occasionally. in case of V2V there are no additional logs.

In case of Windows P2V agent's log is useful; it resides on the source machine.

In case of Linux P2V helper's log is useful; it is located on the destination VM but for manual collection the VM need not be rebooted (it boots from ISO and has memory mapped disk during conversion)

Regards

Plamen

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

where to find worker log????

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Server/worker logs:
  Pre-Vista: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs
  Vista and above: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs