VMware Cloud Community
Gkhnckr
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the Vsphere 5 Converter Cd (coldclone) ?

As you know vsphere 5 is ready and we can buy it and install in our environment. And as you know some our phisical servers has a EFI BIOS. In Vsphere 4 we can't install EFI Bıos supported Vms, but in Vsphere 5 we can choice EFI BIOS or Basic BIOS. So Vsphere 5 Released and we want to P2v our phisical EFI BIOS servers but where is the Vsphere 5 coldclone cd? Isn't released yet? I can find just standalone converter but it doesn't support EFı BIOS while operating system is working. ANd also I can't find Vcenter Converter too.

Can someone tell me where is the Vsphere 5 Coldclone converter? The platform is ready but where is the p2v tools? If isn't ready why you relased vpshere 5?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

thread moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Converter

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out hte documentation

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/converter_pubs.html

It looks like you need enterprise edition for the cold clone CD. Do you have the license for it?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe that the Cold Clone CD has been available since vSphere 4 and was only available with Enterprise or greater.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

from the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 User's Guide:

Converter Standalone 4.3 and later versions do not provide a Boot CD, but you can use previous versions of the Boot CD to perform cold cloning

André

0 Kudos
Gkhnckr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Guys,

But As I say I need to capable of EFI Bios support converter cd. Previous versions of the Boot CD doesn't support it.

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you should be able to do an online migration. just go to vcenter and choose "Import"

make sure to schedule a downtime and stop services to prevent data loss.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can create your own. http://sanbarrow.com/moa.html

You can also use any software capable of doing a cold image of a hard drive and then restoring the image to a new Virtual Machine. You may have work to do once you have restored the image depending on the hardware components but not impossible.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just upgrade our vCenter from 4.1 update 1 to 5.0 and all host from ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 and now I no longer have the import option when I right-click on any of the host or vcenter.  I did not see a separate install option for Enterprise Converter for vCenter 5 like I had before in the previous versions including 4.1.  Did I miss something?

0 Kudos
blckgrffn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, can we import EFI BIOS physical servers yet?  Has anyone done this with VMware provided tools?

Thanks,

Nat

0 Kudos
MartinS2
Contributor
Contributor

Could someone from VMware please state on this?

Is cold cloning no choise any more?

Is the Converter Boot CD decomisioned or end of life?

How to offline P2V efi Boot machines (beside 3rd Party products like Symantec System Recovery 2011)?

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert

Converter Boot CD will be no longer supported. There will be no new versions. Unfortenately even the latest Converter Standalone 5.0 does not have support for EFI firmware and GPT disks. 😞