VMware Cloud Community
mojodk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where can I download vCenter Converter?

If I select "File" -> "Virtualize a Physical Machine" then I get this link:

http://www.vmware.com/go/download_converter

But no matter what I try, I can't find the vCenter Converter download.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
40 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

mojodk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sam2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I read a few weeks ago that due to bugs they have taken all versions of vCenter Converter offline as a result of stability and security  issues.  VMware says they don't have any committed dates on when a solution to converting needs will be announced or released but instead they only confirm that they are currently working on the solution.  See in the link below:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2022/02/vcenter-converter-unavailable-for-download.html

It makes sense that they wouldn't commit to any release dates.  Maybe to avoid putting any unnecessary and additional pressure on Dev when it's always been and hopefully will remain a free product.  That was always a genius decision by VMware in my humbled opinion as it only facilitated an increasing customer base for vCenter, vSphere and many of the suites they offer.  But especially the Bread and Butter of vCenter and vSphere.  The heart of it all.  That's just my two cents.  Hang in there Mojodk.  Hopefully there will be a nice solution in place directly from VMware that will address P2V/V2V related tasks and soon.  I have a huge migration coming up as well.

Although there are other 3rd party tools out there that P2V/V2V nicely.  All versions of VMware Converter (Open-Sourced as well) have always been my GO TO since it's for the most part Native to the task.  But again, hang in there.  I wish you well always and something good will happen soon is my hope!

-Sam

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
GoingAlone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How can you move a vm from one esxi host to another esxi host (no vsphere), say esxi 6 to esxi 7? There's no real export function in the web interface of the stand alone host.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even the standalone ESXi version has an option to export/import as OVF.

Another option might be https://williamlam.com/2012/06/how-to-copy-vms-directly-between-esxi.html. I didn't try this with ESXi 7.0 yet, but it may be wort a try.

André

0 Kudos
GoingAlone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre!

Not sure how I missed the export, hard to see if powered on! So this should work to move a vm? I see it does not harm the vm your exporting, it just needs to be powered off. The import should be easy to the host in question then, correct?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It usually works well. Just make sure that you do not have e.g. an ISO image attached to the VM (set the VM's CD-ROM drive it to client/host device).

If you need/want the VM to have the same MAC address on the target host, you may copy the VM's .vmx file over to the new host after importing the VM. Then re-read the VM's the configuration. This can be done by either removing, and re-adding the VM from/to the host's inventory, or from the command line (see steps 2+3 in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026043).

André

0 Kudos
GoingAlone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tested exporting a vm then adding it to another. That all worked fine. I then wanted to use the existing .vmx file from the org vm. The problem I ran into was the vmx had the info for the network from the prod host, I did not have the same network name on the test host. I edited the vmx and changed the net name to match the one on the test, then used the command line to reload the vmx. This seemed to work and it kept the mac address correct. Should this all be done with the vm turned off? They don't really mention that in the KB

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the VM has to be powered off for the reload command.

André

0 Kudos
darrylc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anybody still wants Vmware Vcenter Converter Standalone I can provide a zip file for 6.2.0 build 8466193.

two_characters1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would be interested in that zip

0 Kudos
levi_woodbury
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also looking for a Converter installation.

0 Kudos
timbos77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

also interested in that zip!

0 Kudos
darrylc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Send me an email to darryl@acadiau.ca and I will send you the Onedrive link as the zip file is 148MB and it appears as though the limit for posting an attachment here is 146MB.

0 Kudos
bonsolo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, are you able to send me a copy of vmware vcenter converter. Thanks Solomon. bonsolo1@hotmail.com.

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can also look at there beta of the new one

https://williamlam.com/2022/09/new-vcenter-converter-beta.html

0 Kudos
TodorRaykov
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The vCenter Converter is back! The VMware vCenter Converter team invites you to communicate your interest in joining the continuous vCenter Converter Beta program. If you want to participate - just shoot a mail to vc-converter-beta@vmware.com.

You can also visit the vC Converter Beta community page

0 Kudos
darrylc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Link sent to all above who requested.

0 Kudos
Danijel7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution