VMware Cloud Community
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is a faster P2V solution?

Hello,

I try to migrate a physical machines to virtual machines, but I have a problem. The time using Converter Cold clone is too long (8 hours).

Anyone knows if I use the P2V helper with P2V cold clone 2.1 is a faster solution?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yep - that maybe faster ... but if you are in a hurry - why don't you simply use Ghost or Acronis and image to a local USB-disk.

That gives you shortest imaging-time and you can later import the image to ESX or whatever you target was

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello continuum,

I have a problem, this machine is very old machine and don't have USB ports. In my next attempt I will try to use P2V helper!

Thanks,

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Zenariga, you could always purchase a PCI to USB device. They are extremely cheap and readily available. Smiley Wink

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello K-MaC,

I know this possibilit but I have another problem. My superiors didn't approve hardware changes on this machine, this is old machine but is the most important server of environment. I wanna to put a USB device or one Gigabit adapter, but this change is not aproved, because this I question about speed migration, to try the migration with faster solution in my next attempt.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
toob
Contributor
Contributor

If you have downtime available you could use ghost via the nic?

If the hardware is ancient then you should easily be able to find the required boot disk. Although then you are in the realms of finding the dos raid driver!

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use an image tool like Acronis TrueImage and start your physical machine with the bootable CD. Therefore you don't change anything on your physical pc. Then you start imaging the pc over the network, which is normally very fast. After that you can take time as much as you like for finding a suitable migration method.

0 Kudos