VMware Cloud Community
s627y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What does the "ignore page file and hibernation file" mean in the import process

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the timely and helpful replies everytime I have a question.

I have cloned a couple servers with success now. But I have never looked carefully enough to see the checkbox for

"ignore page file and hibernation file" when you choose the source volume. Although my clone worked, I was just wondering what does this checkbox do?

Will the page files and hibernation files be left out during cloning which means the VM will NOT be the EXACT SAME machine as the source?

Just something I'd like to know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ignoring the page file or hybernation file will speed up the conversion process because it will not attempt to migrate these files. The page file will be recreated once the VM is booted for the first time. The hybernation file will also be created the first time you hybernate the VM.

If you put your system to sleep as opposed to shutting it down when you P2V'd it then you want to consider including the hybernation file in the P2V process as there may be data from unsaved work in it. If its not included the OS should boot as if it was a regular shutdown and not put to sleep. If you shutdown then you can ignore the hybernation file as it does have valid data.

The page file you can almost always ignore. I'm sure there are rare occations where there may be data in the page file you want to retain. In most instances the server will commit anything in the pagefile to disk durring the shutdown phase. I dont think the server will reuse data from the page file on the next startup, rather it will page data from RAM into the pagefile as needed, overwritting anything that was there. Some people even setup their servers to erase the pagefile durring shutdown for security purposes so the leftover data in the pagefile cannot be examined for sensitive information.

-Ed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ignoring the page file or hybernation file will speed up the conversion process because it will not attempt to migrate these files. The page file will be recreated once the VM is booted for the first time. The hybernation file will also be created the first time you hybernate the VM.

If you put your system to sleep as opposed to shutting it down when you P2V'd it then you want to consider including the hybernation file in the P2V process as there may be data from unsaved work in it. If its not included the OS should boot as if it was a regular shutdown and not put to sleep. If you shutdown then you can ignore the hybernation file as it does have valid data.

The page file you can almost always ignore. I'm sure there are rare occations where there may be data in the page file you want to retain. In most instances the server will commit anything in the pagefile to disk durring the shutdown phase. I dont think the server will reuse data from the page file on the next startup, rather it will page data from RAM into the pagefile as needed, overwritting anything that was there. Some people even setup their servers to erase the pagefile durring shutdown for security purposes so the leftover data in the pagefile cannot be examined for sensitive information.

-Ed

0 Kudos
s627y
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
mlopez15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the explaination Ed!

Manny

0 Kudos