VMware Cloud Community
clabrown
Contributor
Contributor

What are these Converter Actions blocked at boot by McAfee

Hello:

I've been using the free / eval versions of VMWare to learn about virtualization. At some point in the process of trying to migrate a physical server I installed VMWare Converter on my desktop. (eventually I installed it directly on the server and actually managed to convert the server successfully but this question isn't about that) When I boot my desktop I get the following errors in my McAfee On Access Protection Log. I would have thought that the Converter would only be running if I manually started it and tried to do a conversion. I'm curious what the converter would be trying to do automatically at boot up and is

this normal behavior?

Thanks, Cla.

4/8/2010 8:55:56 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter-a.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\vmware-converter-agent-175.log Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Create

4/8/2010 8:55:58 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter-a.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\vmware-converter-agent-165.log Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Delete

4/8/2010 8:56:11 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\vmware-converter-server-181.log Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Create

4/8/2010 8:56:11 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\vmware-converter-server-171.log Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Delete

4/8/2010 8:56:38 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter.db Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Write

4/8/2010 8:56:49 AM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\vmware-converter.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter.db-journal Virtual Machine Protection:Prevent modification of VMWare Server files and settings Action blocked : Create

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter sets some services to start automatically - this is not necessary.

They can be safely set to startup type manual

Converter can start them on demand if you really need them

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos