VMware Cloud Community
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Warm conversion question?

I did a warm conversion of a W2K server and everything worked fine. My question is "how do I know I have all the data cut over if the server is on while I do the conversion. Meaning The VM is created but the Physical server never turns off. When do I do the final cut over? Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Thats a good question, I've assumed that anything that is modified after the data was migrated to the virtual server was not updated on the virtual server. I think it's always good policy to move anything that has sensitive data like a database server using the cold migration. I've only used the hot migration on servers with relatively static data like web servers.

0 Kudos
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Can you do the cold migration with the converter GUI or do I need to use the CD I wonder?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A cold migration relies on the cold clone boot CD available with Converter Enterprise. You are guaranteed all the data because your server is off and you boot off that CD instead.

When you do a hot clone, a snapshot of the disk is captured and that snapshot is copied. Any activity happening on that server while the copy occurs is not captured. Therefore, you should tell your users to stay off the machine if you are concerned about losing any transactional data.

0 Kudos
Rkelly
Contributor
Contributor

Telling users to stay off the system is a little easier said then done. I do see a hot migration as very useful though for DR purposes. I just wonder if I can figure out some way to do a hot migration while blocking the users from the system? Possibly stopping some services will work. Gotta think about this one for a bit.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You could look into putting it on a different network so that the machine can still see Converter and your destination, but the users can't.

0 Kudos
tjj
Contributor
Contributor

I found cold conversion is the only way to preserve data.

Using coldclone.iso attached to CD_Rom when booting VM.

The only problem (drawback) I found I can only set NIC adapter to "vlance" mode to be recognized by the system, and this half the speed of vmxnet.

Does anyone know any better setup?

0 Kudos