VMware Cloud Community
lucaslepore
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Converter error

Hi, I'm getting the following error when trying to do a p2v conversion. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

pastedImage_0.png

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion: 'GrubInstaller::InstallGrub: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/installGrub.sh failed with return code: 127, and message: FATAL: kernel too old Error running vmware-updateGrub.sh through chroot into /mnt/p2v-src-root Command:
chroot "/mnt/p2v-src-root" /vmware-updateGrub.sh "GRUB2" "(hd0)" "(hd0,1)" /vmware-device.map "grub2-install" '

10 Replies
asajm
Expert
Expert

Hi lucaslepore

Check maybe help

VMware P2V Conversion: GrubInstaller Error During Conversion of Debian Linux Host | Mantraaz

If you think your queries have been answered
Marking this response as "Solution " or "Kudo"
ASAJM
0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately Ubuntu 18.04 is not supported: VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0.1 Release Notes

lucaslepore
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for getting back to me, can I do it manually?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

You can try if you feel confident enough in Ubuntu configuration.

First you need to get the destination VM not getting deleted. Open for converter-worker.xml file (found in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\) and look for powerOffHelperVm. Set it to 'false' and restart worker service (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker).

Once you have the target VM, attach to it and boot from a live CD, preferably the Ubuntu installation CD.

Study the link asajm posted is , here are two more about manual reconfiguration:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2224694#2224694

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2844710#2844710

HTH,

Plamen

NadJ
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's absolute [removed by moderator] that in July 2020 the latest version of Convertor with the latest version of ESXi allows you to even START converting an Ubuntu machine. After hours and hours of converting you get this error at the end.

cyrus104
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I fully agree, this tool is amazingly valuable and some of these issues seem fixable. So many time I've taken on projects at sites that haven't virtualized their environment and I use this tool to do the initial conversion and then do a bunch of validation.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please keep your comments on VMTN professional - the link in my signature is for the Code of Conduct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
matt336
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous, especially for what VMware costs these days. It's absurd.

0 Kudos
Infratec165
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me too.

0 Kudos