VMware Cloud Community
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware converter reboots physical server after cold clone

Hey

This may have already been mentioned but I can't find any other discussion on it. I am doing some P2Vs using the Vmware converter 4.1.0 cold clone bootable disk. As we do not have any KVM/IP switches, I have to visit the server room to check the progress of the conversion. The problem I am having is that once once converter completes, it randomly reboots the physical server I have converted (didn't seem to happen to all of them). Obviously, I do not want the physical server powering up again as changes could be made to it. I cannot see any options within the converter to tell it not to reboot or even to shut down which would be ok?

Has anyone else come across this problem and maybe a solution?

Cheers :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is a very dirty hack that will do what you want Smiley Wink

edit the coldclone.iso and remove the file ...\I386\bootfix.bin.

If you remove this file the CD will not ask "press any key to boot from CD" - instead it will always boot into the CD.

So this also means that you must change the BIOS-boot-sequence of the physical machine to boot from CD.

Then - even if the Coldclone CD reboots for unknown reasons - it will never reboot into the original system but launch the CD again.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you got a special software installed on the Pserver?

Perhaps an UPS aganet, against powerloss or so?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No UPS agents installed....

?:|

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you checked out he logfiles on the Server?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On the physical server?

I never checked any logs as I assumed this was normal behaviour for the converter but I could somehow overide the option to exit /reboot? It would be nice if there was an option in the converter gui to shutdown the physical server after the task completes Smiley Happy

I only have one left to convert now so I don't want to spend too much time trawling through logs but it does seem a bit silly that if you do a cold clone of a physical server (that obviously requires being powered off like an Exchange server) it should power back up after the task completes, therefore rendering the converted vm useless if the server is connected to the network (which it will be to connect to the vcenter server in the first place) and changes are made.....

Cheers

Liam

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is the PServer an Linux system?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

By PServer, I am guessing you mean physical server :smileyshocked:

No, the latest one I tried was a 64 bit windows storage server...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes I mean so.

Can you make an NTbackup on this machine, with consistency check?

I've never tried an a 64 bit windows storage server because it is a very special one!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Probably you can try this.

Install the standalone converter on another WIndows machine, and try to consodidate the Server from this.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't do a backup of it as the data drive is over 700GB and the reason I am doing a cold clone is so that no changes can be made to it. Surely if I do a stand alone conversion while it's booted up, changes can be made unless I mess about with the networking which I do not want to do...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this a fileserver you want to consolidate here?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is indeed..

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Aha!

So I think if we are talking about such a big amoutn of data I would not to try to convet it throgh the converter.

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this server a HP one?

If so, I would try to disable ASR (Automatic Server Recovery) in the BIOS ...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why not do it through converter? I wasn't aware there were any file limitations?

0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rubeck

No, it's a Dell Pe2950

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are no limitations, but a storage server BS is always something special and if I am right it is not supported by vmware!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can manage to convert it, that's not really the issue :smileysilly:

The problem I have is that converter completes the task and reboots the machine and I don't want it to. Surely it isn't going to matter what OS the physical machine is?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is a very dirty hack that will do what you want Smiley Wink

edit the coldclone.iso and remove the file ...\I386\bootfix.bin.

If you remove this file the CD will not ask "press any key to boot from CD" - instead it will always boot into the CD.

So this also means that you must change the BIOS-boot-sequence of the physical machine to boot from CD.

Then - even if the Coldclone CD reboots for unknown reasons - it will never reboot into the original system but launch the CD again.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
LiamSinton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Genius! :smileylaugh:

Ta very much

0 Kudos