VMware Cloud Community
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Standalone Converter P2V Fails at 98% on Windows 2003 R2 x86 with error: FAILED

Hello All,

I am trying to P2V my Windows 2003 R2 x86 server. Upon trying to do the convertion using standalone version 5.5 it fails at 98% with just the error:"Failed".

The Machine is around 400GB so it is very heart breaking waiting for Hours for the P2V and then it fails at 98%.

The Convert all the files appear to be copied and as the last Disk gets done the converter fails. There are no errors in the Logs that I can see. I assume this is erroring out when it goes to configure the VM. I have tried some of the info I have found online about turning off the /3GB and /PAE switches in the boot.ini and shutting down all necessary services on the machine. The VM does not get destroyed after the failure so I have tried to do a configure on it but it still will not start up.

If there are any thoughts to help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jamie

0 Kudos
11 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are correct there are no obvious errors in logs, so you need to get the converter-agent.log from source machine.

The 98% normally is error in reconfig, so you can try just to reconfig destination VM because all data is already copied.

HTH

0 Kudos
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

So I am not seeing any logs under C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vmware-temp that are tied to the converter agent?

Also, I tried configuring the VM after the fact since all the files got copied over but that didn't work either. I even Went so far as to get all the sysprep files for the OS version and run that. Still the VM will not start up properly.

Also tried with 2003 R2 ISO and do a repair but still no go on the boot.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The folder you pointed contains only installation logs...

You need to look at

XP, 2003

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs

Vista+

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs

on source machine the logs location is same.

0 Kudos
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

Attached are the Logs from that location.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seems that you converter-worker service crashed. Could you check for converter-worker.dmp file and upload first one?

0 Kudos
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

There are no Converter-worker DMP files that I can find.

The machine does crash when it gets to the 98% and is finished with the last Disk Copy. It is like the Configure part is causing the machine to crash. This may be a lost cause Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you run only configure ot VM and send the logs?

From the other hand I found that your disks are RAID, which generally is not supported.. due to similar problems.

0 Kudos
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the logs from the VM Configure

I know RAID can be an issue. I am hoping that is not the case.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the logs I'll say that reconfig finshed ok.

If the target VM could not start - you should find the RAID drivers and remove/disable manually in order to boot successfully your VM.
HTH

0 Kudos
oldskooldropout
Contributor
Contributor

Should I just try the P2V again and remove the HP Services or is there a way to modify the drivers on the already copied VM that won't power on?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the RAID controller is part of HP services this could help. It's possible to find which driver is problematic via special boot - push F8 before window start and select driver by driver verification (or similar).

About modification of registry: attach your system disk to other VM; load its registry with regedit (select and load from otherdisk\windows\system32\config\, hive: system), modify it, unload; then detach disk and try to run VM.

HTH

0 Kudos