VMware Cloud Community
dsoden
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Converter & Windows Server 2008 Std x64 (resizing OS partition)

Just a FYI... After using Vmware Converter version 3.02u1 build-62456 to increase a OS disk partion from 16GB to 32GB, the VM is no longer usable. Generally, we build our VM templates with smaller OS disk parts than what we would normally use... basically to conserve diskspace. We then use the Vmware Converter tool to clone an existing template to another server and reset the OS partition to the size we want then. Note that I was able to "clone" the same VM template to the exact same host server that I experienced the issue via the VI3 console on with no problems.

Once restarted and booted from the Windows 2008 CD-ROM, I select Repair Computer. The repair process fails afterwards. I am assuming it just no longer sees the partition (Partition size = 0 MB)

Again, just a FYI as I see that we are using the latest and greatest version of Vmware Converter.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

if you still have the original VM, try the new Converter 3.0.3 that was just released. I have tried it to resize ... and it seems to work, but 2008 is not supported as a guest os that I know of.

0 Kudos
nbctcp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just now I can easily resizing win2k8 C partition.

In my case is using win2k8 32bit, maybe can be done in 64bit as well.

Here my steps:

-using vi client Summary-Edit Settings-Hard Disk-New Size

-in win2k8 goto My Computer-Administrative Tools-Server Manager

-Select the disk you want to extend, for example Drive C

-Right-click the disk and select Extend Volume

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Create the partitions in your templates with 2k3 prior to installing 2k8.

I don;t think that Converter can handle partition-tables created with 2k8

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos