VMware Cloud Community
Jorgen_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware Converter Extremly Slow

In the past year i have done around 100 P2V migrations. The common factor I have discovered is that for each release of the Vmware Converter tool it gets slower and slower. The last 10-15 migrations with the 2 latest releases have been awful. Last conversion was a server standing on GB Lan and the server was fairly new. we where going to migrate around 30GB and after 1 hour still standing on 2% we aborted. and tried an erlier release. no changes. then we tried to run with symantec ghost 500-600 MB/min.. this i can live with, but running Vmware Converter Enterprise (coldboot cd) we are getting speeds around 10-50kb/s.. is there any one else with the same problem. I think It suxx that we spend alot of money on a Enterprise solution and the Convertion products only gets worse and worse. we have tried everything to rule out an configuration error. the setup was the following.

1 HP C7000 Blade chassie

6 HP BL460c G1 (2xQuadcore, dual fiberchannel mezzine, 6Nics (VLAN conf)

1 EVA4100 SAN

2 Brocade Fiberwitches

Cisco 6500 with 2 GBit blades for the vmware environment for redundant LAN

We have the server that we are going to migrate on the 6500 so there isn't any network problem.

The problem isn't bound to any hardware vendor. we have tried HP, Dell, IBM machines to migrate newer and older.

on the older servers the ghost only gets 500-600 on the newer ghost can run up to 1300MB/min

can anyone explaine this ?????

Regards Jörgen

Linux is like a wigwam. It has no Windows or Gates and it got Apache inside.

Linux is like a wigwam. It has no Windows or Gates and it got Apache inside.
0 Kudos
24 Replies
STLcards06
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old post that I'm replying to, but I found a program that successfully resizes partitions in NT enviroments (W2K3 Server) with ease. And it's a free download as well. The products is called EASEUS Partition Manager. Anyway... I'm on this thread because I'm having issue trying to convert P2V as well and am looking for an answer... Right now I'm a 4% and it's been 3 hours since I've started the conversion. I sized the partitions down to ( C:\ = 20GB instead of 40GB and D:\ = 40GB instaead of 60GB) 60GB total with only 10GB of total data... This shouldn't take too long, am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions please!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's hell slow dude. I did p2ved (Hot Cloning) few win2k3 machines last week for 12-20gb disk usage and it tooks only max 2 hours with 100 base network.

BTW, 4% at cloning volume process rite?

System Engineer

Zen Systems Sdn Bhd

Malaysia

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
victorg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I suggest using v4.0. The performance is better than 3.0.X. Of course, if you are resizing the volume, the speed is very low, because it's doing a file copy. But if you are importing to ESX 3.5 with Converter 4.0, you can create thin-provisioned disks instead of resizing the volumes.

WikipediaWictionaryChambers (UK)Google imagesGoogle defineThe Free DictionaryJoin exampleWordNetGoogleUrban DictionaryAnswers.comrhymezone.comMerriam-Webster<>0

wvcidfjoguarm

0 Kudos
ericortego
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware converter is a piece of &^$%.

I've tried to do P2V, V2V, Client standalone, client server, and have never once witnessed this excuse for a product work to completion.

The ONLY %^&*$ way to get a V2V copy of windows on a linux vmware server host or workstation is to copy the files and manually rename & edit the files, new-sid etc etc

Message was edited by: RDPetruska Expletives deleted.  Please refrain from such language on these forums.

0 Kudos
benpiper
Contributor
Contributor

Unless you have gigabit all the way through, VMware Converter is going to take many hours if not days to convert.  For whatever reason, VMware Converter seem to use only a small percentage (about 6% from what I've seen) of the available bandwidth to perform the conversion, even if you disable network throttling.

0 Kudos