VMware Cloud Community
NirWana_Support
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Convert can't connect to Linux Ubuntu host for P2V

Hi,

I try to convert a Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) host to p2v but I have a little problem to make it work.

Here the custom setting I made on the host:

-     Edit /etc/sudoers and add my user like this => username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Here the setting I made on my Windows 7 who start the Vmware Converter Standalone 5.5.3:

-     Edit converter-agent.xml and converter-worker.xml

-     Change the "useSudo" flag from "false" to "true" (in each file)

-     Restart the Vmware Converter Standalone Services.

Here a part of the log where is the error:

2015-02-06T11:04:01.138+01:00 [18608 error 'Default'] [Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] while trying to execute "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\plink.exe -noprompt -stdin -P 22 -thumbprint ea:96:52:3a:3b:b9:c5:21:93:4b:8c:17:4b:66:a2:8d myuser@ip.ip.ip.ip sudo uname -m" received error code (1) with result: sudo: pas de tty présent et pas de programme askpass spécifié

-->

2015-02-06T11:04:01.138+01:00 [18608 error 'Default'] [Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] received an error code (1) from the ssh client that will be handled later

2015-02-06T11:04:01.138+01:00 [18608 error 'Default'] [Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] could not determine if the source system was 32 or 64 bit; return code: 1; result: sudo: pas de tty présent et pas de programme askpass spécifié

-->

2015-02-06T11:04:01.138+01:00 [18608 error 'Default'] Sysinfo Query with sudo failed with error [Converter Agent SysinfoQuery] could not determine if the source system was 32 or 64 bit; return code: 1; result: sudo: pas de tty présent et pas de programme askpass spécifié

-->

2015-02-06T11:04:01.138+01:00 [18608 info 'Default'] Scheduled timer canceled, StopKeepAlive succeeds

2015-02-06T11:04:12.601+01:00 [18468 info 'Default'] [Converter.Worker.DiagnosticManagerImpl] Generating LogBundle.

How can I make it work ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Eventually this might help: ssh - sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified - Ask Ubuntu

OTOH, if you can afford such an entry in sudoers, why not enable the root account?

After you get past this step, expect another issue (Ubuntu 14 is not supported by converter 5.5 after all). Converter calls "grub-install -v" to get the grub version. However in Ubuntu 14, this is done by "grub-install -V". You may work around by renaming the original file and adding a script to call it, a script that can handle the "-v" argument.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
NirWana_Support
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I take a look at it, for grub-install -v it works, I use grub 0.97 and not grub2 Smiley Wink

I try to enable the root account (sudo passwd root) but I can't login either.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Wow, Ubuntu 14 with GRUB1 ! That's something I am yet to see 🙂

Do you have root login enabled in sshd? Check for PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

0 Kudos
NirWana_Support
Contributor
Contributor

Here the sshd_config

# Authentication:

LoginGraceTime 120

PermitRootLogin without-password

StrictModes yes

# Change to no to disable tunnelled clear text passwords

#PasswordAuthentication yes

Edit:

replace "PermitRootLogin without-password" by "#PermitRootLogin without-password"

add "PermitRootLogin Yes"

restart ssh service

login with root account on vmware and all work Smiley Wink

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great!

I wouldn't mind a few points for correct/helpful answer Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MunkhB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Now you can convert Ubuntu 14.04 Server with newly released VMware vCenter Converter 6.0.0.

I tested it personally and it converts and boots without issue.

Cheers,

Munkhbayar Batkhuu

0 Kudos