VMware Cloud Community
Brachus
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualizing Windows NT Server in VM Workstation 6

We're trying to virtualize an old Windows NT system that we can't retire just yet. I used the VMWare Converter v3 to create the virtual disks, and everything appeared to go well. (I didn't realize Workstation had one built in)

However, when we launch the virtual machine, NT makes it up to the login screen and then gives us the BSOD, with a Stop Error: 0×0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I'm not sure which driver is causing this.

Wouldn't using the converter have corrected any potential driver issues?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you take a look at this URL? Does the Netropa keyboard ring a bell?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310918

Try running converter's "configure machine" wizard on that VM to see if it can fix any driver issues.

On the physical source machine, was there anything hardware related in the add/remove programs such as videodrivers? Dell openmanage, etc? You can try removing them and re-converting.

0 Kudos
Brachus
Contributor
Contributor

That keyboard does not ring a bell. The KB looks like it was for XP and not NT though.

Anyways, we tried converting the converted files and when I use the converter inside Workstation, it is unable to determine the OS. When I try in the stand alone converter, the program locks up.

I just can't remember how to disable drivers from loading in NT.

Brachus

0 Kudos
jakganesh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Before doing all these things can you try to take an Ghost image backup from that backup you can create a VM.

Jak
0 Kudos