VMware Cloud Community
chrisb101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualizing SBS2003 Server

Hi All,

I have a Windows 2003 SBS server which I want to apply Windows Service Packs and Exchange Service packs. As I don't have 100% confidence in this server I would like to virtualize it and then perform the updates on a text VM.

Are there any best practices on converting SBS or Exchange. Do the Exchange services need to be stopped or can they be left running?

Has anyone dos this before?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eric_ten_thije
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

iam running a sbs server in vm environment witch i have convert from a live machine and its running great.

the best way to convert is to stop de exchange services before virtualisation otherwise there is a change that the

exchange store is not able to start.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't done this personally, but I would recommend to shut down Exchange. SBS is not on the supported OS list, but you can give it a try. The source system won't be modified so if it doesn't work you can just continue with your physical system.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
eric_ten_thije
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

iam running a sbs server in vm environment witch i have convert from a live machine and its running great.

the best way to convert is to stop de exchange services before virtualisation otherwise there is a change that the

exchange store is not able to start.

0 Kudos
ITTehpro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, when hot converting SBS 2003 with Exchange.

Tried what eric said and it worked. When converting, stop all exchange services and then continue with conversion.

Don't forget to restart services on physical machine after conversion.