VMware Cloud Community
boogieshafer
Expert
Expert

VS2005R2 Import Problems

ran into a couple issues with the import process from MS VS2005R2

orignal vm: vs2005r2 based win2k3std w/ms vmadditions installed running on win2k3std-x64

-ms vm additions do NOT show up in add/remove programs post import, but appear to be at least partially installed

-vmware network adapter was installed, but did not migrate over the setting from the original VS2005R2. the vs2005 nic is not visible, but is still present as configuring the vmware adapter with the ip used by the original pre-import interface will pop an error regarding that ip already being assigned to a hidden adapter no longer present

-the system will post errors during startup as it tries to start the MS vmadditions service which is no longer capable of starting post import process

-installing the vmware tools causes problems with the mouse support...navigation is fine, but the buttons dont work correctly. removing the vmware mouse driver from device manager will get you back to the ps/2 driver for the mouse only and at least provide basic functionality again

-

i would definetly recommend anyone planning on importing a VS2005 source image, uninstall the MS VM Additons prior to running the import process

boogie

Message was edited by:

boogieshafer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
boogieshafer
Expert
Expert

even with the ms vm additions removed cleanly prior to import, the process still seems to have issues with the network adapter migration

---

-another additional problem i noticed was that the vmware import process wants to add some devices to the output vm...even if they were not present in the source vm

an example of this is an audio device. my source vm didnt have an audio device, and i dont want one. the import process seems to add it by default to the output vmware vm. sure i can manually go over the vm settings and remove these devices, but its extra work that i think the importer should handle more cleanly.

my preference would be for the import tool to only substitute where necessary for devices already present, but to NOT ADD additional devices or even classes of devices which were not present originally on the source.

boogie

0 Kudos