VMware Cloud Community
drkbeatz
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone easy question

Hi All,

If I use the following -> VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Product Download 4.0.1 is it possible for me to do the following without purchasing anything

1. Move a virtual multiple linux images which reside on esxi 3.5 to another esxi 3.5 server and then back gain

2. P2V a windows nt 4.0 server to esxi 3.5

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Using VMWare Standalone Converter you can move VMs from one ESXi server to another ESXi server, just define your source and destination servers. Use the option VMWare Infrastructure.

You can also do a P2V of your Windows NT environment, just install the VMWare Standalone Converter in your physical server and start P2V.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
drkbeatz
Contributor
Contributor

what is the option vmware infrastructure for? does it specify that is for esx?

and for the nt server can the converter not push out an agent to it and p2v it without having to put the full app on the server?

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

VMWare Infrastructure is for ESX/ESXi, once you select that option you will be asked the ESX/ESXi server name/IP, username (in most cases use root) and password. Once you provide these information for both source and destination you will be able to move VMs between ESX/ESXi servers.

I haven't tried a P2V of a Windows NT, but am sure you can deploy the Converter Client in the environment and start the P2V.

Regards,

Nikhil

drkbeatz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos