VMware Cloud Community
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (Conversion Error)

Hello Support,

I'm trying to convert a physical Linux based server it is a sciencelogic EM7 server, trying to convert to a VM for backup purposes. The physical server is up, & I can access it via SSH only. When I attempt to connect to the phyiscal server for coversation, i get the following message: "Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine" don't see any error message just this information. Please, help me.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you try this step and check if the linux is compatible with the converter version?

VMware Knowledge Base

Login as root when trying p2v.. this might be a customized linux version as far as i know and i am unsure if converter supports..

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Support, I can only SSH into this server, so not able to find out exact version of this server EM7 Sciencelogic, it is some linux flavor might be customized. Is there any other product which can support this physical server to converted to a VM?

0 Kudos
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. I have collected some information for this physical server: OS Version: CentOS release 5.11 (Final).

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is probably not a solution but check if you have dmidecode package installed. And try again.

0 Kudos
sk591
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kindly ensure the following:

- In the vCenter Converter wizard, select "A remote machine" instead of "This Local machine" and use the IP of the physical machine or 127.0.0.1/

- Ensure firewall is turned off and Anti Virus is disabled.

- Run the wizard as an Administrator.

- If there are any other sessions open that is if you are simultaneously trying via multiple machines, please only use one machine and close the wizard on the rest.

0 Kudos