VMware Cloud Community
markroe
Contributor
Contributor

VMware converter - lack of permissions error message on converting a physcial XP machine

I'm trying to convert a physical XP machine using version 3.03. I get passes the remote installation screen and then the following error message appears

" An Operations against the remote machine failed due to lack of permissions ". (screen shot attached)

I have tried this process with the local administrator a/c and other local admin a/c. The local firewall is off

any ideas ?

Do i need to set anything else on XP apart from what i have done bearing in mind i am using the local admin a/c

0 Kudos
3 Replies
luckyayo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Makore,

I recently ran into the same snag, but after further investigation, I finally got it working and "Oh my goodness", it's amazing.

Now the first step is to look into the logs, it shows you at what point the connection is unsuccessful and what accounts its actually using to connect. By default due to a windows security policy, it will redirect accounts connecting remotely as guest. So even if you connect as the local administrator, your windows XP sees it as a guest account.

To further confirm this, you need to edit you audit policies to audit both success and failures for all authentication and you would be able to see the accounts being connected to your XP machine via the event viewer.

Secondly, for VMware converter to install the agent remotely, it will access the hidden Admin$ share on your xp machine. So the account you use must be able to connect successfully to this share, you can test this using "
remote machine ip\Admin$". it will ask for a username and password. Whatever account you are able to to successfully connect with, is the one you should put as credentials for in the Vmware converter settings.

Thirdly, both machines must be able to access the share which would old the vmware files at both source and destination.

Please follow all these steps, based on the resutls of your logs and event viewer, I would be able to direct you on the next steps to take to get it fully functional.

0 Kudos
acavali
Contributor
Contributor

You may also want to make sure all of the ports are open between the physical server being P2Ved and the ESX host you are P2Ving to. Sometimes the error messages don't tell the whole story. As the above post said, the error logs really are helpful.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have tried this process with the local administrator a/c and other local admin a/c. The local firewall is off

All you have to do is reset the permissions. Administrator does not mean that individual objects can't block the admin from access.

Login to that machine as the local Administrator.

so you start the C: drive right click, properties security. go into advanced, take control with the Local Administrator. click ok (may take a while to reset).

Then when it's done, close that window, repeat the same process, and this time use edit permissions and reset ALL subdirectories and files with inherited. Make sure that Administrator has FULL rights. click ok (again takes a LONG time).

Do the same thing in the resgistry , you are done. Now try it. You should have access.

Somewhere someone must have installed something that reset permissions, or they got reset accidentally.

0 Kudos