VMware Cloud Community
gamania
Contributor
Contributor

VMware converter 5.0 will crash when using vCenter 5.1 as destination

converter 5.0 will crash when vcenter is upgraded to 5.1. Does anybody know any temp work around or fix? thanks

0 Kudos
147 Replies
cmchoi
Contributor
Contributor

I am waiting for this release so I can move on my work.

0 Kudos
Asteroza
Contributor
Contributor

It's showing back up in the listings as 5.0.1 with a 10/25 release date, but the link goes to the download page that only shows 5.0.0 so I guess it still hasn't propagated across the download system? Or will it pull the same disappearing act again?

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info/slug/infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_con...

Edit - and literally 10 minutes later the download link goes live!

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

Downloaded successfully too, so get it while you can.

0 Kudos
_felix_
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tested this update yet?  does it work? can you P2V ESXi 5.1?

0 Kudos
mbramwel
Contributor
Contributor

I have downloaded the new converter, installed it and used it to move a VMimage that I created last week on my Workstation 9.0 to a 5.1 server.  The image converted without difficulty.

0 Kudos
_felix_
Contributor
Contributor

Thats excellent news - thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
Asteroza
Contributor
Contributor

Note mbramwel did a v2v. Anyone done a p2v yet? I had been waiting on the 5.0.1 converter before commiting to installing ESXi 5.1 so I can't test at the moment.

Also note that new and upgraded installs of Converter 5.0.1 seems to reset the NFC SSL flag to TRUE near the bottom of the converter-worker.xml settings file, so if you want decent converter performace you will need to edit the file again back to FALSE and restart the services.

0 Kudos
Dave8472
Contributor
Contributor

Successfully performed a P2V to vCenter 5.1, using Converter 5.0.1. No issues, performance was expected after disabling SSL per usual.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
trafsta
Contributor
Contributor

It is also working well for me today. I started our ~20 server migration from Hyper-V to VMware ESXi 5.1 today and wow does it save a heck of a lot of time and steps compared to doing it with Converter 4.3...

Thank you for <finally> releasing this... it honestly came to a point that if it wasn't released I was going to be screwed...

I will be converting servers all weekend now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos