VMware Cloud Community
gamania
Contributor
Contributor

VMware converter 5.0 will crash when using vCenter 5.1 as destination

converter 5.0 will crash when vcenter is upgraded to 5.1. Does anybody know any temp work around or fix? thanks

0 Kudos
147 Replies
Bigi201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep using Converter 5.0 with a Standalone 4.x or 5.0 Host otherwise using 4.3 your partitions might loose alignment after conversion.

0 Kudos
Mister_D_
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and it is shocking that their latest converter does not work with their latest hypervisor.

Making sure that their latest realeases work with each other is not just good quality control. It is comun sense.

I will continue to use their product, but I will not recomened my clients to upgrade or migrate to their products until this is fixed.

0 Kudos
Mister_D_
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and it is shocking that their latest converter does not work with their latest hypervisor.

Making sure that their latest realeases work with each other is not just good quality control. It is comun sense.

I will continue to use their product, but I will not recomened my clients to upgrade or migrate to their products until this is fixed.

0 Kudos
Zimeon
Contributor
Contributor

Found this out today as well, was supposed to convert one machinet today but no, converter keeps crashing...

0 Kudos
costin_barzon
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

We are an IT services Company. We have a contract with a client and recomand them VMware as "the best solution". They bought all the licences. We start to migrate from P to V and ... surprise .... Convertor 5.0 no good at all. The licences purchased by the client are 5.1

The project is 4 weeks late because of this. Please VMware Team: DO YOUR JOB, and help us to do ours.

0 Kudos
ofirzvik
Contributor
Contributor

Hey all.

Yes, it is disappointing that the latest converter does not work with the latest ESXi

However the solution is very simple:

THE SOLUTION:

Use the previous version.

I used VMware converter 4.3 and it works like charm, you don’t have to delay your work or reinstall anything other than the converter itself.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?dlg=converter430&baseCode=dGhiZEB0ZWJkd2V3

Ofir Zvik CTO Evolution Online / xGlobe Online
0 Kudos
Dave8472
Contributor
Contributor

Except that... using 4.3 isn't "the solution". It's a workaround, only, if it works in a particular environment (it does not work for all - don't assume it will because you personally had success).

A solution is something that is fully supported; something you can market and stand behind. It's not credible to sell a customer on a workaround. 4.3 is supported up to a certain point and under certain conditions. Same with 5.0 or any other release. You need to work within the scope of those agreements in many cases.

When you are working in an environment that is regulated (say by a government agency or other third-party entity), using a workaround isn't only frowned upon, it can get you into legal trouble if there are problems which you have no ability to address, or a feature that is missing in the workaround, which might have been officially documented as in the intended version. What the community needs is for VMware to produce supported, functional products, not rush to market attempts which leave considerable gaps such as this. Conversion is a huge part of the business, and in VMware's own benefit.

Look at the timing... 5.1 was pushed to remain competitive with 2012 Hyper-V, though that wasn't a very good reason, in my opinion, to forget a prime function of their mainstay product - to convert away from the competition. It drives up costs in overhead dealing with workarounds, internally supporting that workaround (since VMware does not), documenting it if regulated, or even going to a third-party pay-for conversion tool, etc. This is just unnecessary fuel to the fire. "The solution" is a supported and compatible product, nothing more, nothing less.

0 Kudos
GibboSTG
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue with using converter 5.0 with vcenter/ESXI 5.1.

Can confirm 4.3 worked perfectly in this customers infastructure. A perfect solution.

Sorry.. not solution.

Work around.

0 Kudos
silus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.3 has worked for some VMs but we have others hanging during conversion. Seems other people are having the same issue.

using 4.3 as a workaround isn't an acceptable solution.

VMware has made anyone who has been recommending them as the best platform recently look stupid.

0 Kudos
Mister_D_
Contributor
Contributor

I do not want to sound ungrateful. I appreciate the band aid fix, but for paying costumers such workaround is like taking your car to the mechanic becasue it shackes and the mechanic telling you that he does not have the equipment to fix it, but if you install your old worned out tires it will shake less.

The reason 4.3 was replaced is because it had its own set of issues and needed improvements.

The complaint is not that we have to use 4.3. The complaint is that VMware should have done product development and beta testing before releasing esxi 5.1. The reason we use VMware products is because after you take the good with the bad they are better than Microsoft, Citrix, and the others. But if they keep making such big mistakes then VMware will eventually stopped being the overall best. That my friends would be very sad. Customer loyalty only goes so far.

0 Kudos
silus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's actually a very good analogy for what's happening here.

VMware's near silence on the issue is highly annoying also.  So far all they've said is there's no technical reason for it not to be released yet, but things like release cycles etc.

So, that says that as of 22nd oct, they are either sitting on a working converter and simply not releasing it, in which case management should be kicked out. Or, the screwed something big time and there are technical issues meaning it can't be released. Meaning management should be for the chop.

Either way it seems like there has been some severe mis management of this.

0 Kudos
EricBowen
Contributor
Contributor

As said, 4.3 is NOT the solution but a work around for some.

I need to convert back down from VM Version 9 and only way to do that i think is with a new converter.  Ran into a problem with our Backup software on 5.1

Comon VMWare, a fix this week would be great!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

to revert a VM from virtual hardware 9 to 8 all you need is a texteditor - sorry for offereing just another workaround - I do not wor for VMware

0 Kudos
Zimeon
Contributor
Contributor

Need to try the previous version tomorrow, hopefully that works for the P2V migration thats really needed this week. Ill update as i know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BEMueller
Contributor
Contributor

Worse than that, it's like taking your brand new expensive car, for which you were REQUIRED to pay a good amount EXTRA every year for warranty and service, to a FACTORY mechanic and being given a shrug, and a duct-tape-and-baling-wire "fix."

I'm not in the least bit impressed by the current level of service in what I consider to be a very costly VMware SnS contract.

0 Kudos
Bigi201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know any executives email addresses or phone numbers?

I found this is this the real facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/pat.gelsinger

0 Kudos
twistedvibe
Contributor
Contributor

I am utterly astounded this issue has still not been properly addressed, with at the very least some estimated timescales on the delivery of this software.

How are System Architects supposed to make business descisions without the empowerment to do so? At this point I don't even know if it is days, weeks or months before we have a resolution where I can reliably perform conversions without additional steps/workarounds.

Can an administrator please explain how we can escalate this matter further? Clearly posting publicly in a forum is having no effect.

0 Kudos
silus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would call the local support number for your country and ask to log a formal complaint. (if you can find your way through vmwares dire phone menu system).

I think that will be the only way to log a complaint.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yesterday I asked in the moderator area for an official statement.

Lets keep this discussion civilized until we hear something.
I do not think that posting Facebook links will do any good.

Disclaimer: I do not work for VMware and I am just a user as you are

0 Kudos