VMware Cloud Community
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation convert physical machine - proxy mode

Hi,

I'm trying to use VMware workstation with convert physical machine and I'd like to know if there is someway I can use the proxy mode as I don't want to use the file share mode as I've got port restrictions.

Does anyone know how to do that for proxy mode?

Regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which version of Workstation are you using?

Since v8, Converter Standalone has been used, and the user guide states on page 11:

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 13.16.15.png

Workstation is an "unmanaged" destination, meaning that you won't be able to use proxy mode directly (unless someone else knows differently)

https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCenter-Converter-Standalone/6.2/convsa_62_guide.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just changed the target to VMware workstation instead of ESXi or Vcenter and I lose the proxy mode option.

What I'm after is doing proxy mode to VMware workstation not ESXi or vcenter

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi and vCenter are "managed", products like Workstation are not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Converter Standalone.

0 Kudos
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Are you saying then essentially it's not something that can be done putting the conversion to VMware workstation in proxy mode?

Regards,

Dave.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, that's correct. Proxy mode can be used only for Windows P2V conversions to managed destinations, i.e. ESXi or vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, exactly as per the documentation screenshot in my first reply.

0 Kudos