VMware Cloud Community
rweinmann
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Server image to ESX convert failed

I am trying to convert/import a Win2k Server vm running on VMware Server to my ESX 3.01 Server. I am using the starter version of Converter.

I installed the Converter and agent locally on the vm to be imported. I started the import process, but it failed at 97% with an unknown error returned by VMware converter agent.

What am I doing wrong? Is this the best way to migrate a VMware Server vm to ESX?

Thx,

Bob

0 Kudos
23 Replies
js_opdebeeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for this post ...

Really usefull .

Is there an 'Official' document for Server to ESX migration ???

Js

0 Kudos
GuruLeeNyc
Contributor
Contributor

, thanks for the great method!

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This works fine on ESX3.x but i am getting the following on ESX3.5

Permission denied.

Error code: 3

Error message from server: Permission denied

Request code: 14

The account i used to log into the server has admin access and is not root

0 Kudos
stromcooper
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure when you're receiving this error message, but I had the same thing when using WinSCP with file transfer resumption enabled. WinSCP appends a ".part" suffix to the file while it is transferring in order to have a resumption point. Once the transfer is complete, it tries to rename the file, which is where I received the same error.

There are two solutions to this:

1) Start WinSCP, in the left window select Preferences, press the Preferences... button. In the left window, under Transfer, select Endurance. In the "Enable transfer resume/transfer to temporary filename for" area, select the Disable radio button.

2) If you have already transferred the file and do not want to push it again, tell WinSCP to skip the renaming of the file when you receive this error. Then SSH into the box or browse the datastore with VIC and rename the file with "mv /vmfs/volumes/san001/temp/virtdisk.vmdk.part /vmfs/volumes/san001/temp/virtdisk.vmdk". I tested the .part file against my source with md5 checksum and they are the same file.

Hope this helps someone...

0 Kudos