ahuang215
Contributor
Contributor

VMware P2V synchronization error. It thinks the volumes are file level.

Good Morning,

I am trying to virtualize a server with the sync option (Vmware Converter) to finalize the changes at a later date. All the volumes show as block level, but when I try to start the job I get "Synchronization cannot be enabled if one or more volumes require file-level cloning".

I have gone as far as moving the disks to a single volume (within Vmware Converter), but I get the same error.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

It is likely some volume (e.g. the boot one) is nearly full. Converter automatically ensures at least some percentage on each volume is free (10% by default) and if not, increases the volume size. To override that, find 'minVolumeSizeExtraPercentage' tag in converter-worker.xml, set the value to '0', and restart vmware-converter-worker service. Then try again.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
ahuang215
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Plamen,

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately it did not work. I keep getting "Synchronization cannot be enabled if one or more volumes require file-level cloning. Disable synchronization or refrain from resizing the destination volumes. As an exception, synchronization is allowed when NTFS volumes are extended to a larger size in the destination."

A bit more background....

When I initially start the converter on the physical machine, 2 of the drives show up as "file-level" cloning. So I change the cluster size to "Keep source cluster size" (4KB) and move the drive to a different virtual disk. It then shows up as "Block Level".

I set the Sync options, but over and over again get the above error.

I would really like this to work or we need to incur 4-5 days of downtime on an important server.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello ahuang,

Changing the cluster size is something quite rare and I didn't think about that.

A little reminder from the user guide:

Synchronization is available only for Windows source operating systems and managed destinations.

If you resize FAT volumes or shrink NTFS volumes, or change the cluster size on the destination volume,

you cannot use the synchronization option.

You cannot add or remove volumes on the source machine between two cloning tasks of a synchronizable

job because it might cause conversion to fail.

You are correct that block-level cloning is required for synchronizable jobs. Check again whether your conversions follow the above prerequisites.

If it still doesn't work, try excluding suspicious volumes (but don't exclude the system and active ones).

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos