VMware Cloud Community
dwamurray
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Converter internal exception error, would greatly appreciate assistance?

Hi everyone

Here is the situation:

• Attempting to P2V a physical server.  Have used Converter Standlone 5.0 on the source machine and on the vCenter machine remotely.  In the case of Standalone everything works fine up until Submitting the job when an internal exception is thrown.  Using vCenter, it gets to about 1% and then poops out with a similar error message.
  • I have P2Vd this server before, the reason I'm doing it again is because we lost the original data and had to bring the physical back on.  The issue last time was with DNS.  DNS is working on this machine and verified that it can resolve the vCenter Server (which is version 5.0, ESXi hosts are 5.0, the physical is 2003R2 32-bit)
  • All of the firewall ports were opened for this server inc. TCP 902, TCP 9089
  • I thought it might have been caused by the fact that the SMBus drivers weren't installed properly on the physical machine, so I downloaded and installed the latest Intel chipset drivers for it.  This was successful in updating the SMBus drivers but didn't help progress the P2V.
  • I've attached the log file

Can anybody shed some light on this one?  It's got me stumped ...

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

do this:

convert to a workstation vmdk via standalone.

that should complete 100% judging from your post because the problem is uploading it to vcenter?

then take that vmdk and upload it to the vcenter, either from thatmachine or from your desktop.

that should work.

its a workaround I found works in some cases

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the log:

Failed to connect to peer. Error: Failed to connect to server hresx01.hrinsure.co.uk:902

this is some network issue, check again your network configuration.

HTH

0 Kudos
dwamurray
Contributor
Contributor

This worked thanks.

0 Kudos