VMware Cloud Community
khermans1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Converter and Microsoft EFS?

I was utilizing Microsoft's Encrypting File System (EFS) on a Windows XP SP3 laptop, which also utilized Entrust Entelligence (file encryption) and SafeBoot (full disk encryption). I recently used VMware Converter to move the physical machine into a virtualized environment for VMware Workstation 6. Everything seemed to have transferred correctly.

Under the My Documents folder, which was the only encrypted folder, I saw all my original directories, so everything looks great. However, to my horror, all the encrypted files within those directories and also in the base folder of My Documents have disappeared. At first I believed I had accidentally deleted the files, but how could I explain the folders that had remained? Obviously something has gone wrong, or VMware Converter does not support moving encrypted files across to the new system. Is any of this mentioned in the documentation? It would have been nice to mention this during the converter application's migration routine. Can someone please verify that VMware Converter knows about this issue and if there is any possible workaround? I can recover the files from my backups, but I still wish there was some notice about this.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to a response!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you resize the volumes while doing the clone. If yes, there would be a possible workaround: Do not resize the volumes. This would do block based copy as opposed to a file based copy and hence (possibly) avoiding the issue.

Also if you collect the logs and attach them, it might be useful to figure out the actual problem.

0 Kudos
khermans1
Contributor
Contributor

paragsha,

I will post the vmware converter log file(s) tonight. Regards...

0 Kudos