VMware Cloud Community
HHNguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Converter Standalone 5.5 does not show Drop Down Menu for Destination Type

Hi Folks,

I am trying to use VMware Converter Standalone 5.5 for use with VMware Player and am not able to select Destination Type of my choice (I'd like to choose "VMware workstation or other VMware virtual machine" from the "Select destination type" drop-down menu.)  Please see the image below where the drop-down menu is not there at all.  Thanks for your help.  Hai

converter-issue-image.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is not a bug, this is a limitation of Converter. It is stated in the documentation. Converter regards any powered on machine as physical. It can not convert powered on Linux machines to hosted (i.e. Workstation/Fusion) destinations.

A workaround would be to convert it to ESX, and then convert the (resulting) powered off VM to Workstation.

HTH

Plamen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you upload log bundle? This is very strange at all.

patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You must have a live Linux source. They can be converted to vCenter Server/ESX only.

HHNguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me try to give more details.  I try to convert Red Hat KVM virtual machines to VMware Workstation 8.0.

Converting Red Hat KVM Windows VM DOES show the drop-down menu for Destination Type on the Destination System page.  However, converting Red Hat KVM Linux VM does NOT show the drop-down menu for Destination Type at all on the Destination System page (image attached in my first post.)  Is this a bug?  Is there any way to work around this issue?...  Again thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is not a bug, this is a limitation of Converter. It is stated in the documentation. Converter regards any powered on machine as physical. It can not convert powered on Linux machines to hosted (i.e. Workstation/Fusion) destinations.

A workaround would be to convert it to ESX, and then convert the (resulting) powered off VM to Workstation.

HTH

Plamen

0 Kudos
HHNguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plamen,

Thanks for your help.  You are correct.  This is a limitation.

Hai

0 Kudos
HHNguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Plamen,

Can Red Hat KVM VM be converted to vCloud Director?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, Converter can not import in vCD. You will need to somehow access the underlying virtual infrastructure.

Regards

0 Kudos