VMware Cloud Community
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware Converter Enterprise build# 36853

"We wanted to inform you that we have identified an important functional issue with VMware Converter Enterprise build# 36853 that was released on Jan 29th, 2007. This issue causes the installed VMware Converter 3.0 Enterprise product license to expire on Feb 1st, 2007, thereby disabling all conversion functionality."

That's what I get for being super-eager. I found this out the hard way today.

Someone in Vmware QA is in trouble me thinks Smiley Happy

Dave

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I've been using the (fixed version) of the Converter today, gotta say I'm impressed at how easy it is to use!

0 Kudos
Nicke
Expert
Expert

I agree, I used it yesterday. I've down a fair share of P2V migrations (using VMware P2V) and I got to say I really like the fact that you don't need a helper VM! Just boot from the CD and handle the entire migration from that side. And a subjective feeling is that the migration part is a lot faster than before.

/Nicke

Niclas Borgström
Arrow ECS Sweden
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I wonder what affect VMware Converter will have on 3rd party P2V vendors like Platespin and LeoStream. It looks like the customer is going to benefit the most by this move from VMware.

I am somewhat reminded of the browser wars back in the mid 90's when Microsoft began giving away IE...which eventually crushed Netscape.

If VMware were to give away a starter version of Capacity Planner, (which I think they should) to help out the SMB sales, then that could really be the final blow to some 3rd party vendors out there.

I'm not hoping for this, mind you, I think that competition is great for the consumer...which is why I still appreciate the Microsoft virtualization platform. It's not even close to VMware's products...but it's enough for VMware to take them serious enough to stay competitive.

Chris

0 Kudos
Nicke
Expert
Expert

I think we're all winners! I think it's a great initiative from VMware to add extra incentive to virtualize, the easier the better if you ask me. I'd compare VMware Converter and Platespin with the same relationship as Microsoft Terminal Server and Citrix Presentation Server meaning one has "basic" functionality but if you need the extra bang for you buck you have the option to go for a product which can do more (for instance remote headless P2V in the case of Platespin).

I like the fact that VMware brings a lot of products to the table enabling customers to have a great flexibility when designing, implementing and managing environments.

/Nicke

Niclas Borgström
Arrow ECS Sweden
0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wonder what affect VMware Converter will have on 3rd party

I wonder this too. I used to push for PowerConvert becuase P2V was just to flaky. Now I wonder if PowerConvert is worth the $5k...

Time will tell.

Dave

0 Kudos