VMware Cloud Community
rudybrewster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare vCenter Converter

Hi

I'm trying to back up a physical machine, so I thought I'd try a P2V, but when I used  the VMware vCenter Converter installed on my laptop, when I get to step 2 (after putting in the vCenter username and password and connecting) I see:

"A general system error occurred. No connection could me made because the target machine actively refused it"

So I thought there might be an issue from where I was running it, but I tried to run the same process on the vCenter server itself, and I still got the same error.

I have managed to get a .vmx file of the physcial server now, but I still can't get any of my ESX hosts to accept, when I click on them in the inventory, I still get the error mentioned above.

Anyone have any ideas how I get this machine into my cluster? Is there a setting in the ESX hosts firewalls to turn on or something?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi First Try Connect directly to the destination ESX host.

second. try do with converter 4.3  - http://www.vmware.com/go/download-converter

ps: discussion moved to Converter forum

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartinAmaro
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try to enable the proxy on the host:

Edit /etc/vmware/config with a utility such as nano.
      Add the following line:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE

If you still have issues, then please post the converter version, version of the ESX host and error log.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
rudybrewster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks very much for the reply, I set it to:

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE"
Which I think is the correct formatting?
I didn't restart the management services, do I need to do that? I tried without that, and still got the same error.
The ESX host version is: 4.1.0
Converter: 4.0.1
Which error log should I be looking in for this?
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi First Try Connect directly to the destination ESX host.

second. try do with converter 4.3  - http://www.vmware.com/go/download-converter

ps: discussion moved to Converter forum

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
rudybrewster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes the new converter worked straight away, thanks very much for your help & points awarded.

0 Kudos