VMware Cloud Community
knownothing
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare converter with ESXI

Hello,

I used VM converter 3.0.3 to convert a couple of Windows 2K servers. This was successful and no issues/errors were encountered. When I try to convert the vmdk to an ESXi server (using converter 3.0.3) , they consitatnly fail at 48%. I looked through the logs and can't make heads or tails of what is causing the problem. Attached are a couple of logs for the failures. I'm kind of new to VMware so maybe I'm overlooking something. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Converter forum.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Since no one's answered...Between 5% and 90%, Converter is copying the data to the destination. So errors in here are usually an interruption of some sort with the copy. Either network problems or running out of disk space, is what I've seen most often. By default, ESX does not use growable disks. So if you allocated 100GB to a growable VMDK, you need 100GB on the ESX server's datastore, regardless of whatever size the VMDK is currently. (Growable disks are possible on ESX, but not supported.)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

watch out for VMFS-block size - your newly created VM may be too large for the current blocksize ....

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos