VMware Cloud Community
Randem
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare constantly failing...

Aloha, I have found that I can sometimes do conversion of the same computer or image file several time with different results and they all seem to be with DNS. Now I have no idea of how the conversion can start then fail later due to DNS. I would think that since the start of the conversion VMWare would have the IP address then would use the IP address to continue the conversion. this would eliminate the DNS failures and failed conversions. I am finding that if I replace the computer name with the IP address the conversion completes much sooner than with the use of the computer name. Wouldn't it be a good idea that the software do that on it's own? It would help a lot since I see many, many user issues online with the same problem of the conversion terminating because it cannot find the host. I think it would be a good idea to only use DNS once to get the IP address then continue with the IP address. What am i missing here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Randem
Contributor
Contributor

Update: After several attempts using DNS (Computer Name); the latest one failed at 33% after 12 hours and 36 minutes of operation. I am currently using the same conversion using the IP address and no DNS and the job is at 74% in less than an hour. Mind you that the Image file that I am converting is on the same computer and the destination is the very same computer DNS is slowing the communications down to a crawl and ultimately failing. This would vaguely amount to two people who need to talk to each other in the same house; and one having to look-up the address of the house in the phone book each time they needed to exchange communications with each other. A whole lot of wasted look-ups when they already know at what address the other person is at and in which room they are in. If you want communications to fail; this is the way to do it! DNS is greatly over used; It should be used to look-up the address of the computer once then each communication should be sent to the IP address not using DNS each time communications are needed.

Using IP addresses completes the task in 1 hour 20 minutes; using DNS (Computer Name) never completed after over 12 hours...

0 Kudos