VMware Cloud Community
ArrowSIVAC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Workstation 6.5 to ESX4u1 - RHEL 5.1x86 Unable to determine the guest OS from metadata: vmodl.fault.SystemError: Msg

Very basic conversion

Customer built a guest VM on his VMWare workstatio 6.5.3 installation. Sent a copy of the VM to me via a USB drive. I attached it to my VMware ServerVersion 2.0.2Build 203138

The RHEL 5.1x86 server imported into my VMware server and launched without error. I now need to import the VM into my vCenter / ESX farm. All hosts in this farm are latest patch (4u1, etc..)

When I launch convertor I get the below error before I even get ot the point of defining attachment to the vCenter target

Creating local adapter...

Registering disposable session object id=VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task Associating disposable session object id=VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task with session id=5EAF545E-FB1E-43C7-9A94-67BB6AA8DA3E

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: Starting execution of an image processing task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: SetState to running

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask initialized

Creating local adapter...

HOSTINFO 5201385771705592 @ 3000530000Hz -> 0 @ 1000000Hz

HOSTINFO ((x * 2931513106) >> 43) + -1733489007064

Parsing local vmx file C:\VirtualMachines\ibmdirector\ibmdirector.vmx

Unable to determine the guest OS from metadata: vmodl.fault.SystemError: Msg:

Parsing local vmx file C:\VirtualMachines\ibmdirector\ibmdirector.vmx

Unable to read OS info from system disk: vmodl.fault.SystemError

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.UnableToDetermineGuestOs VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: SetState to error

object explicitly disposed: VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task being destroyed

Any thougths on this or ways to get a clean conversion.

I did check that vmtools are installed and updated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

why do you want to do this with Converter ?

I would just make sure the VM uses a vmdk format that works on ESX and then I would just upload it.

By the way - what OS do you use to run Converter and which version of Converter did you use ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos